Need help with a whining noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin McGowan

Reaction score
I just started getting a whining noise up front in the motor compartment......i tried the wd-40 on the belt......and sprayed on all the pulleys.....it usually only happens in the morning or after it sits for a while........it eventually goes away.....not sure what this is..had the altenator checked.....they said it reads good......im baffled....please help.......its a 01 4x4........with 67,000+ miles............Where can i read this TSB on the altenator problem......and does anyone have the part number they replaced it with......thanks for all your help People!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine made a whining noise that turned out to be the alternator. It would only whine when the outside temp was below 20°F though.

As a general rule, the alternator will do this in the morning or after it has sat for a while. What happens is there is a rather large load put on the alt at these times. As a result, the alt kind of screams. The alt is still good and operates within specs. It just makes noise while it is bringing the battery up and running the various electronics.

If this is what it is there is a TSB on it. If you were within coverage Ford would replace it with a slightly higher amperage alt that the 4 Door Explorer uses. I had my 2001 Job 2 changed out. Problem solved.

If it is the alt it will get much loader as winter temps start to arrive..

Throw this into the mix....my 01 does it only when the weather is moist...raining..rained over night...humid as heck....you get the picture..im thinking mine is pully/timing chain related but of course its alway sunny and 70 when I finally make the appointment to get it looked at. And of course they can never hear it... AAAAAHHHHHH!!

Marsha, I'd still go with the alternator.

When it is wet, it works even harder as the internal components of the alternator are wet as well. Be it condensation or otherwise. When wet, the alternator looses some of it's ability to push all the power down the cable to charge the battery as it is losing amps working even harder...

I could be wrong, but I doubt it in this case.

Cold and wetness are the two biggest issue with an alternator as far a load is concerned.

Coastie....Thats odd that the explorer would get a heavier altenator, than our fully load Tracs...for that much even a diferent power steering pump...:huh:

Odd it may be, fact it is.

Both the power steering pump and the alternator off the 4-door Explorer produce more power/output. Both the TSB's on our Trac's replace them with the Explorer 4-door part numbers...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts