Need advice on future upgrades...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I was wondering. Those of you that got Torrie's Transmission Tunes for the Gen 2 V8 6 speed auto - how are they working out?

I'm trying to plan out the next upgrades for around 6-8 months from now and I'm looking for advice on the order of things - not just performance items. My child support ends in August and I'll begin to have some extra $$ to begin the process.

Can any of you recommend the order of the items below (if it matters to the Xcal?)

Things I want to get done:

(Already got the Throttle Body)

Xcal from Torrie with performance and tranny tunes

Exhaust (Heck, I have the V8 - why waste the great sound)

Anti-Sway bar

Shocks

Cold Air Intake

(possible) lift

Anything else ya'll would recommend?

I REALLY REALLY love my ST and want to keep it around for a long while.

The order of the mods doesn't really matter. If you get the X3 first, you can always e-mail Torrie after adding other mods like exhaust and intake, and he'll adjust your tunes for the mods and e-mail the new ones to you.

Anti-Sway bar - Didn't know there was one available for the Gen 2 ST

Shocks - Are there problems with the Gen 2 OEM shocks?

I can't recall any Gen 2 owners ever really complaining about the ride/handling of the Gen 2 ST. Everyone pretty much raves about the vast improvement with the IRS when compared to the Gen 1 ST.

(possible) lift - Good luck. With the rear axle shafts going through the frame, you won't be able to lift it very much.

The order of the mods doesn't really matter. If you get the X3 first, you can always e-mail Torrie after adding other mods like exhaust and intake, and he'll adjust your tunes for the mods and e-mail the new ones to you.

Great!

Anti-Sway bar - Didn't know there was one available for the Gen 2 ST

I believe that Todd talked about one in the past. I'll see if I can find the information.

Shocks - Are there problems with the Gen 2 OEM shocks?

It seems to be fine but lot's of members say the ST's handle much better with new shocks on all corners. Again, maybe someone can chime in with comments.

(possible) lift - Good luck. With the rear axle shafts going through the frame, you won't be able to lift it very much.

I believe there is a company that has an option to lift - only 2" - an 07plus. I think it's called "Roadbully"

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to be fine but lot's of members say the ST's handle much better with new shocks on all corners. Again, maybe someone can chime in with comments.

I think that was mainly the Gen 1 ST. The Gen 1 OEM shocks were crap right off the assembly line. However, I think that the consensus on this site is that the Gen 2 shocks are good, and that it handles very well.

Do a site search and see if you find any threads discussing shock problems/upgrades/replacements on the Gen 2 Trac.

TrainTrac,

Just found the link to Lifting an 07...

http://www.roadbully-offroad.com/ (You'll have to cut and paste this one in the link bar)

Looks like you're right regarding the shocks for an 07.

I do like the ride of mine, just want to make sure it's as good as it can be because of the towing I do. I do have a sway issue (not real bad) with a cross wind or a truck passing me. Guess the solution would be to drive faster so trucks don't pass me? :smile0006:

I found this: (Below is the link to a previous post regarding shocks.)

(Sorry, don't know how to put two links in a single post)

Jimmy, I've got an '08 model and this is what I did, in order:

1) cold air intake from K&N that fits an '08 explorer

2) exhaust system from Magnaflow #16779 I think

3) Zabtek throttle body, Graciously installed by Todd Z.

4) SCT Xcal3 from Torrie @ Fast Parts Network (explained mods to him and he sent the correct tunes) The tranny has to relearn how to shift, but after a few days it was awesome.

5) brakes. Rotors, calipers and pads (ceramic)

6) then came all the "fluff", wheels/tires, headlights/foglights, grille, window tint, etc.

Good luck with yours, I'm completly satisfied with mine. Don't change the shocks until you are SURE they are worn out or defective. The Gen2 set-up corrected a lot of the problems from the Gen1. As far as lifting the truck, how much time are you actually gonna spend off road? If 90% of your uasage is on the street you might want to rethink that modification, in searching for suspension stuff, I didn't really see much for our trucks. A body lift is possible, as are leveling kits, but remember the Trac is a very capable off road vehicle just the way it is! BC

I do like the ride of mine, just want to make sure it's as good as it can be because of the towing I do. I do have a sway issue (not real bad) with a cross wind or a truck passing me.

Guess the solution would be to drive faster so trucks don't pass me?

A weight-distribution hitch will help with that tremendously. I had one for use when towing my hybrid travel trailer, and it made a world of difference. Here's the one I had:

[Broken External Image]:

Bob C.

Thanks for the information - it's just what I was looking for.

Regarding the lift - I do NO off-roading. I just want a lift for the look - nothing else - AND - lifting my ST isn't high on my priority list.

TrainTrac,

My pop-up has a deck on the front and the triangle frame of the camper has a second level that makes it very difficult to clamp the "U-Brackets" to the camper frame. I'll try to attach a picture later showing what I mean. I've looked at the equalizer assemblies and will figure that out soon (I hope). Fortunately, there's a local hitch shop that has been around for ever that can help me out with that. They have installed every hitch on my trucks over the past 30 years. I may have to go that route.

Additionally, I've used the equalizer systems in the past on the past two 30' travel trailers with a Dodge Dakota and I agree, they are AWESOME! I didn't think I needed one with this pop-up but because of the deck, and the loads I usually carry, I definitely do.

Putting on a quality sway bar and getting rid of the OEM junk shocks will make a HUGE difference.

It seriously amazed me the difference those two little things did...

Putting on a quality sway bar and getting rid of the OEM junk shocks will make a HUGE difference.

It seriously amazed me the difference those two little things did...

Coastiejoe:

justjimmy drives a Gen 2 ST. So far, everyone raves about the improvement of the ride in a Gen 2 versus that of a Gen 1 ST. And I don't believe that there have been any complaints thus far about the Gen 2 ST OEM shocks.

Jimmy, if I remember correctly, the sway bars on the 09 and up are improved and Todd said it's not worth changing on the later model 2nd gen. ST. If true, don't you have a relative that works at Plantation Ford?

Jimmy, if I remember correctly, the sway bars on the 09 and up are improved and Todd said it's not worth changing on the later model 2nd gen. ST. If true, don't you have a relative that works at Plantation Ford?

Relative was laid off almost a year ago. No more connections there and she was quite upset after 22 years.:angry:

She'd kill me if I went back there.

Latest posts