NAPA Total Eclipse Calipers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Decided to replace rear pads after rebuilding the front @ 68K. Right pull was still there after. Found Raybestos Pro Grade rebuilts for around $40 each on line. Buying local is always a better option when it comes to core return shipping costs and warranty. Rebuilt calipers are usually OEM housings serviced by A1 Cardone repackaged under different brand names. Difference is the NAPA Total Eclipse product is beautifully refinished in black that appears and feels to like powder coat. $42.75 per rear semi-loaded without pads including a lifetime warranty made these a no brainer. Beautiful, could not be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had good luck with NAPA brakes. If you want to drop the coin on their Ultra Premium rotors they are well worth it. Very heavy duty stuff and coated so they don't rust. I won't use anything else.

Is there another NAPA link that explains what the 4000% improvement in protection from the elements is supposed to do?

NAPA only mentions that their Total Eclipse Calipers offer up to 4000% increase in "Protection", but protection from what? It says protection from the Elements, but I have never seen that to be a problem with calipers unless they are talking about appearance issues caused by the elements?

Most calipers fail for problems inside with seals, and corrosion of the piston or piston bores. You still have to inspect and replace the brake pads every 40K-60K miles anyway. Cleaning an applying brake grease to appropriate sliding parts goes a long way to avoid problems causes by dirt and sticking problems with calipers.

...Rich

LOL Rich. Just saying they LOOK nice, nothing more. Guarantee the internals are identical to 95% of the rebuilt calipers out there.

NAPA's disclaimer reminds me of the great American company that "invented" synthetic motor oils. Starts with an A and ends with an L. :grin:

Disclaimer:

*Testing for protection was completed at an independent 3rd party lab.

Hey swshawaii, I agree those are cool looking and nothing more. I don't need no stinking 4000% greater protection on my calipers. Hmmm, if I slipped a condom over them before I put the pads in would I get 104,000% protection?

I'm in need for some new calipers and will probably pick up a set of these. I sure wish they were painted ford Blue, they would look even COOLER!!!

Just a note: Before caliper replacement, I always suck out the old fluid from the Master cylinder (is that OK to say these days - I heard they will no longer be calling our bedrooms the Master bedroom so as not to offend anyone with such racial verbiage - anyway to get back on track) and refill it with new fluid. Then I bleed through the OLD calipers so there is new fluid throughout the lines BEFORE I install my new set of calipers. Then I repeat bleed ALL 4 WHEELS. This assures none of the old fluid is getting contaminated and working it's way into my new calipers. Yeah, I'm OCD!

TTB- Everything in your flushing procedure is fine, as long as the master reservoir fluid is kept ABOVE the minimum level. Partially emptying the MC is always a good idea instead of pushing any old contaminants through the system. The majority of the garbage remains in the caliper bores and why you should always open the bleeders when compressing the pistons. My next door neighbor used power steering fluid in his BMW Z4 brake system in an "emergency" last week. The real emergency will come when he gets the repair estimate. Too bad you missed the NAPA order on line 10% off sale, ended on Monday. IIRC, AAA members get a good discount from NAPA.

Thanks for the heads up on the 10% but it's cold and snowy yet here in the Northeast and I won't get to this until it warms up around March anyway. Will keep an eye out for the 10% around then.

swshawaiii,

I agree...those disclaimers always make me suspicious.

I wonder what scientific method was used to determine that NAPA Total Eclipse Calipers provided up to 4000% more protection??:banghead:

I just thought there was a link that would explain what constituted a 4000% improvement in "Protection"? Sounds like Condoms for Calipers. :grin:

...Rich

Reminds me of Panasonic's early flat panel life span tests. They found a way to speed up real time under "real world" conditions. BS, IMO.

I assume you are Steve S Hawaii on Amazon. I went to look for my review of the Raybestos calipers I bought to link here because I had posted photos along with it showing how they rusted and looked terrible after I put them on my Trac. For some reason the pictures are gone now. I had left the reviews on both the left and right caliper and photographed both. Oh well. Next time I need to do it I'll look at the Napa ones you recommended. With my luck with the rear calipers it will probably be the next time I need to do the rear brakes at like 150k miles lol.

A1- That's me, just wanted to give a heads up. Coincidentally, I posted on Amazon because of both reviews regarding Raybestos

Pro Grade caliper rust issues, including yours. I'm quite surprised Amazon posted mine, since they don't sell NAPA products.

On the webpage, it says that NAPA's coating provides 4000% more protection over "some" (my quotes) competitors calipers. That just means "we paint ours, some don't and we'll post a ridiculous stat to point that out."

Latest posts