My Solution....... U Agree?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
ok so i took everybody's advice and opinions on the CATS and exhaust set-up styles and all and i came up with a solution i hope will work. Its a Heartthrob Exhaust Deep-Tone Dual outlet Cat-Back Conversion kit. Tongue twister i know. After seeing where my cats are and the 02 sensors and realizing i cant well take anything out without F-ing up everything this is what i came up with and so far thats all i got. its $350- $390. What do you Think? can i do better? o and apparently hahaha i have 4 cats and i believe 2 sensors before and after the last cat ive never seen anything like it before but idk this is all i got Thankssss

No. That kit doesn't even include the muffler. I had mine done using a Magnaflow single-in, dual-out muffler by a local muffler shop (good job) for around $270.

The mufflers are in the exhaust tips on Heartthrob systems.

Has anyone used the Explorer Express exhaust kit? http://www.explorerexpress.com/exhaust-catback-aluminized-0105-sport-trac40-sohc-p-351.html

You can remove all but the last cat, I only have a single high flow Random Tech cat on mine, the two pre-cats are replaced by the Random Tech Y-pipe. I agree with having a shop just bend you up some tailpipes, had a buddy do it for $160 (he welded everything together).

but i was told by many garages that it will screw up my well everything and the check engine light will come on all the time unless i get a tune up or whatever now remember i have an 03' ST i mean if i reallly do take all the cats except the main one............your telling me i will be just fine no computer tunes need to be done to say its all okay right? i just dont wanna run into a problem that will take hundreds or maybe thousands to fix. and sorry for all the questions and all. Thanks guys

On my 04 I just went the easy way. Random Tech Y-Pipe and CAT that I got from here. Magna-Flow SS single in/single out, that I got from Ebay for like $350. Had a shop take everything out and install all the new back in for $100. Don't remember how much I spent in total, don't care because it is still working and sounds great. LOL

Kyle,

I promise for sure. Take all the cats out except the one in front of the last sensor. Put any type of cat back muffler system after the main cat & last sensor. You will not set off any CEL's.

FYI the 2 sensors in front of the cats at the motor. Only control the fuel air mixture. The front cat at the motor to clean the air on cold startup. They get hot faster.The last sensor only mearures the exhaust and compare its readings to the values in the ECU.

So if your trac is running good and has no problem with a CEL now. It wont after the exhaust work. Some shop will blow smoke. Becuse they dont know this or dont want to get involved.

I have power tools. Put my trac on ramps and changed the oem y-cat pipe to the rt-y in 30 minutes. I already had the magna-flo single cat back.

I have elimated front cats on every ford since my '88 5.0L t-bird, that wasnt stock. Because of the year OBD1. It had to be sniffed on the rollers. Passed everytime. My '94 stang with a built up cobra 5.0L @ 370rwhp, 400rwtq. Passed the sniff every time. On both all I had was the main cats.

California has the toughest laws. They actualy look for all the cats before they do the sniff test. The truth is my fords would pass the california sniff test. Not the looksey test.

In Texas if you front cats fail you are alowed to eleminate them lawfully. If Im ever asked. I will just say they were rattling internaly. The place I go. One tech looked for my cats. he saw the main one, then said nice y-pipe who made it...LOL

Latest posts