Muffler ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2007 v8 I was looking under the truck and it looks like the muffler is part of the resonaitor ? Is that the case ? The pipe that attaches to the exhaust manifold flange ( Driver side ) looks like it is ready to fall off as well ( Rust ) . I was thinking about maybe going with a Magnaflow exhaust. I don't want it too loud . Hard to believe so much rust .:banghead:

Part that attaches to the exhaust manifold is a light off catalyst and it should be stainless steel with the exception of the flange on the pipe

I dont think the gen2 has light off cats.

You have 2 cats, then the pipe y's into the resonator. The muffler next, then the tail pipe. This is what I seen under a freinds '07.

The exhaust is built out of 409 stainless. It is ferritic, hence it has a fairly high amount of carbon in it. It will rust and a magnet will stick to it. Once it rust to a degree the corrosion will seal it from corroding any farther. Kind of like anodizing of aluminum. The exhaust is completely stainless ( except the manifolds ). If you think the exhaust is about to rust through take a screw driver to it. Push on the outer surface it should be solid and hard. If it has some flex to it, it is about to go. Probably from road salt... I built my exhaust from the cats back. Not the most frugal way but the most flow available other than replacing manifolds and cats. 2 1/2" out of the cats ( cut off 2 1/4 in tubing ) into a magnaflow "Y" and 3" out to the back. I used a Magnaflow muffler ( large case ) and mandrel bent stainless tubing all the way out to the back. It is noticeable but quiet going down the road... The factory exhaust is 2 3/4" from the "Y" to the resonator and back into the muffler. If you have the V8 I would get the Gibson exhaust kit for the 3" tubing diameter for a kit that either you or an exhaust shop could install. That would probably be the easiest route for most.

I just installed a Magnaflow catback system in stainless and it sounds awesome. Nice deep tone on acceleration and quiet when cruising along. $495 from seller on ebay with a make an offer and free shipping.

Latest posts