Muffler recommendation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick F

Reaction score
I've read through the archives and I know this subject has been beaten to death but I just have to ask. MagnaFlow or FlowMaster? I listened to the audio clips and I liked the Flow Master 50s but the shop I'm taking the ST to carries both the Magnaflow (which there was no audio clip for) and also FlowMaster, the difference being: Magnaflow = lifetime warranty, FlowMaster = 1 year warranty. Being a frugal consumer I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow. Comments welcome...

Had Magnaflow on previous 01 ST. Have Flowmaster 40 on this one. Magna' was a little quieter than the FM 40, but louder than my Buddies FM SUV50. All seem to perform the same with the butt test.

grump

Peformancewise, any performance muffler will do, exhaust note is what it will come down to. Haven't actually heard the magna but I have heard mixed reviews on other boards, most complaints were as above, the magna is too quiet. If you're not looking for a monstrous v6 roar then it will do you just fine. Frugality probably isn't an issue here, depending on which magna your going with. The FM should run about $79-$89 pending single/dual out. The other thing to consider is how long your going to keep the trac. If you're keeping it till it dies then the magna will be the better investment, otherwise there probably isn't a difference as it is unlikely the FM will be problematic for quite a while.

If your undecided, you may want to just buy a complete magnaflow system and go that route..

They do offer Stainless steel Flowmasters but they are more $$..

Todd Z

Had the FM50 on my Ranger 3.0L. It had a good sound at idle but seemed to be loudest right around 3K rpm which was freeway speeds. It created a rather annoying hum sound when going between 70-75 mph.

I've got a cat back system with a FM Delta 40, i love it. It rumbles at low rpm and isnt very loud on the inside unless youre driving with your radio off. I got mine off ebay for 60 i think, so it wasnt too expensive at all. the work cost the most running about $110 at midas.

I have the magnaflow cat back. Its not to load, roars decent under hard acleration. No droning in the cab at cruise. I tend to keep vehicles 7 to 10 years. So I like the liftime warranty and the fact, all tubing and muffler is stainless.

I've had a flowmaster 40 on my ranger for six years, not the first sign of leaks. If you compare the construction of a flowmaster to others, you can clearly see the difference. My experience has been, if a car part has a long or lifetime warranty, then you'll probably wind up using it.

I want loud noise, but from what I heard the FM 40 original can get too loud or anoying. I want to be able to hear it in the car. Will the 40 delta flow do this?

Boodro

I've had the Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 for I think ~3K miles. It's just a bit louder than stock but with a mellow growl. I can hardly hear it from the inside except at high throttle. I seldom mash the pedal for passing, but when I do I can hear the exhaust growl...undoubtedly louder than stock. Increase in power is noticeable too. BTW, I have single exit.

Latest posts