MS OutLook Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can get Microsoft Outlook to stop adding extra line spacing to outgoing messages? I can compose a nice looking message, and Outlook adds a bunch of line spaces to it, and it really stretches it out and makes it much longer. I have looked through all the options, etc. that I can find, and cannot find any setting that says to add line spacing.

THANKS.

Gavin,

It depends on what version of Outlook you are using.

The general guidelines are that it is adjusted by "Line Spacing" In newer versions of Outlook you need to click the tap that says "Format Text". You will several Icons for shifting text to the left or right margins or centering text. To the right is another icon that looks like spaced lines. Click that and you will see line spacing options. Select single space and that should work.

I think that may only change the text line spacing in that email? There may be a Preference in the Email Options, but I can't find it on my Outlook-2007.

...Rich

Outlook 2010. Windows 7.

Format Text is OK. The text appears OK when I am typing. It just adds the lines when it is sent. I see it on replies, and I see it when I post to group forums like Yahoo Groups. Even thought the message looks great when I compose it, when it gets sent it looks like a complete formatting doofus created it.

I am sure I saw this somewhere, but I cannot find the preference in the "Options" screens. If I had hair, I would rip some out.

Gavin,

OK, here are a few more things you may want to look at.

I don't have Outlook 2010 (I have Outlook 2007), so the menus and selections I suggest may not match what you see on your version of Outlook.

First thing to check is the Message Format: click on the "Tools" menu, select "Options", select the "Mail Format" tab. Under "Message Format" change the drop down list to "Plain Text". If it is set to "Rich Text" or "HTML", that is probably causing the problem. However, you need to know that some people prefer HTML format emails for compatiblitly, but most email software can handle both plain text and HTML. Plain text means that Bold, Italics, pictures, etc may not get passed along with the message as they would if you used HTML format.

Your version may have these format settings on the toolbar or you may activate it on the tool bar. If you can access "Format" on the toolbar: If you right click a toolbar and then select CUSTOMISE..., then under the FORMAT option, drag STYLE to your menu bar, you can then select NORMAL which will give you a single space.

The second thing to check is "Personal Stationary", which also may have formating specifications? If so, you can either adjust the Message Format, or just turn-off the Stationary:

Turn off your stationery: path: [new email] \ Message tab \ Signature button \ Signatures option \ Personal stationery tab\ Theme \ [choose none].

...Rich

Gavin,

OK. Let me know if that works for you. I just noticed that on my Outlook 2007...it was set to HTML and was double spacing. 2007 lets you change the format on each document (top right corner of the document has a clickable "Format" option.

I think to change all your outgoing documents, you need to change the Options Email Format to Plain Text.

...Rich

Latest posts