mounting lights above mirror

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas DeMarco 2

Reaction score
joined the fire department and i got a few lights i wanna install. i got one light i wanna mount above the rearview mirror. just want to know if i'd be able to screw it in without going threw the exterior. is there a mounting plate of something up there thats close to the window? it's a 05.

what lights do you have? i have a whelen ultra slimlighter mounted above my rearview mirror and a whelen dual talon below it...welcome to the brotherhood by the way...you will love it...once you get into lights it never ends, there are many good combinations for the sport trac too...hide-a-ways are awesome in the S/T's because you get great intersection lighting...let me know if you want help ever deciding on lights...

I have a Whelen Dual Talon mounted on the passenger side windshield right above the mirror (tight Squeeze). if you stick your fingers under (or ontop) of your headliner you will feel a hump. This is a safe brace to use to install your lights. I have 4 TIR3 's (2 on tag 2 hidden in grill) 2 whelen Tube strobes (dont know make) in rear window, and 4 hideaway strobes plus laptop stand and Whelen Siren/ PA & Speaker (100w). Also have Whelen Dominator Traffic advisor (6 stick) on order with control head. I will be working on a write up for installation. of all these items. o and FYI the stash places behind the rear seats hides a power supply very well..

PS anyone interested in a set of Clear Dash Kings (Whelen) with power supply?:D

it's help if someone had a pic of the head liner removed or told me how to do it. i got the sound off inc. dual 28 series and i was gunna make a custom bracket. can you guys post up some websites and companies that make good lights cuz like u said mike i plan on goin crazy anyway. i also ordered the wigwag tail light system lol.

I mounted a dual strobe behind/below my mirror. It wouldn't really fit above. It sits behind and slighty below the mirror, it was a perfect fit and doesn't really obstruct the view, plus it is below the tint line so its brighter. I mounted it with the suction cups it came with and have never had any problem at all with coming off, it is a solid mount. I have taken it off a couple times when I didn't want people to realize the vehicle belonged to a cop and really had to haul on it to get it off.

Before you go too crazy you may want to check the laws on what lights you are allowed to have. In general the police will not bother a firefighter but you might find some that will or if you are too overzealous with your driving you may get complaints on you and the police may have to do something. You would be surprised how many complaints we get on volunteer firefighter's driving, not dissing them in anyway as I used to be one myself, its just that sometimes they can go overboard, just like young cops do. Two months ago a local firefighter who drove a 1980's ford truck all decked out with lights and sirens (that were not legal for him to use) got in a wreck on the way to a call, he is in a mess right now and will likely face several charges.

Not sure about there but in my state firefighters are very limited in what you can have for lights, except for a fire chief. Firefighters are not allowed to have any wig wags/flashers or hideaways only dash or windshield mounted lights. As a police officer I can have hideaways, dash lights, grill lights, light bar etc if authorized by my agency but no matter what I can not have wig wags or tail light flashers in my personal vehicle, seems weird but that the way it is.

The other thing to consider is insurance coverage, will your department cover you if you get in an accident responding to a call in your personal vehicle. I can almost guarentee you that your own insurance company will not.

Just some things to consider, have fun with the lighting mods, ST's look sweet with emergency lights.

Yep. here in Illinois you can only use Blue/Blue in your personal car.

Volunteer or department FF.

And you need to carry a letter from your department.

Same thing here for wig-wag's not in a personal vehicle.

And I know of one local town, that won't let you drive with them up, unless you on call or in uniform.

Latest posts