More Power

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
I installed four new Audiophile speakers in my door and the sound clarity is awsome with very improved lows and highs. Now I need more power!!! I have the stock 2005 single cd/mp3 Satellite head unit. Does anyone know if this head unit is equipped for a factory amplifier to plug in the back. If I post a pick of the head unit will that help or do I need to remove the head unit and take a look at the back to see if there is a socket for an amplifier. The reason I think I need more power is when I turn my stereo to full all the way on volume the speakers begin to what I believe is called "clipping". The sound does not distort but the speakers instantly cut on and off in like a micro second everytime there is an extreme low or high coming from my music source. I believe this "clipping" is a sign the speakers are underpowered by the factory head unit. Thanks for any opinions and input on this you audiophile ST owners out there.

I would buy an aftermarket amp instead of a OEM one. CLipping occures when the speakers are drawing more volts then the radio can put out at certain, usually lower, frequencies but at higher frequencies it can put out the correct voltage for the speakers to work properly. Thus the in and out sound.

IMO, I would have went everything aftermarket because the audiophile is a rip off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction, the speakers are "Audiobahn ACS2068P", my mistake. I would like to go factory on the amplifier if at all possible for ease of installation. I am hopeing a factory amp will plug right into the back of the head unit and I'm done.

Correction, the speakers are "Audiobahn ACS2068P", my mistake. I would like to go factory on the amplifier if at all possible for ease of installation. I am hopeing a factory amp will plug right into the back of the head unit and I'm done.

Honestly, there are VERY few factory units that are worth their salt. You get SO much "bang for your buck" from an aftermarket system, that it's almost not worth keeping the factory stuff in my opinion. Swapping out my factory system was the FIRST thing I did. The next day was exhaust and K&N filter. You can probably look around and find a decent factory amp, but it won't be anywhere near as good as the ones you can buy from your local mobile audio/video store.

Latest posts