More Immigrant Workers Needed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Proposed EU program would "fast-track" skilled foreign workers.

In the CNet news blog (10/25), Anne Broache wrote, "The European Union's new proposal aimed at fast-tracking the immigration process for workers in 'highly skilled' is making some U.S. technology heavyweights nervous." The EU's proposed "blue card," which "would 'fast-track'" the immigration system and provide "card holders all EU social benefits," aims to "bring 20 million additional workers from Asia, Africa and Latin America over the next 20 years." It would also have a processing time of "one month to three months." CNet noted that a recent Senate proposal for "U.S. green cards, whose processing time averages 5 to 10 years," would raise "by $3,500 the filing fees for employers seeking H-1B visas." While nothing has yet passed in the U.S. or the EU, the Information Technology Industry Council called the EU's program "a challenge to the United States Congress," and warned that the U.S.'s ability to compete would be reduced if it did not keep up.

"Robert Hoffman, Oracle VP pf government and public affairs" said that the blue card program "will allow Oracle's European competitors to "beef up [their] talent base more quickly," according to a story in the Information Week blog (10/25) by Marianne McGee. As a result, Hoffman said, Oracle, which does the majority of its "R&D...in the United States" but is having problems getting enough workers via the H-1B visa program, might have to "consider moving or expanding operations outside the U.S." However, worker advocates in the U.S. say they "doubt, with all the problems of ethnic assimilation in Europe, that [the blue card] proposal will be enacted," and added that they "would not even be surprised" if the proposal was a publicity stunt to promote immigration reforms in the U.S.

Australia's Sydney Morning Herald (10/25, Maley) added that Europe's immigration population consists largely of "the world's migrating unskilled workers" and asylum seekers, and Europe accepts much larger percentages of this type of immigrant than "countries such as Australia and the U.S". As a result, many EU countries are opposed to increased immigration measures of any kind, and the U.K., "Ireland, Austria and Denmark have been named as...possible objectors" to the blue card program. The Herald also noted that the EU is currently "losing [against] the U.S., Canada and Australia for the brightest staff in high-tech industries."

Yes, highly skilled workers are in demand all over the world. China needs them, Europe needs them, the US needs them. We (the US) have been drawing highly skilled foreign workers for decades now, and the demand continues to rise.

Too bad Johnny can't read, and write, and doesn't want to do the hard work that it takes to be a scientist or an engineer. It's also too bad that Johnny grew up listening to his dad who said: "There's no sense in going to college and learning that stuff because they are just going to send your job to China one day!"

Yep, it's too bad that we have become a complacent society that bitches about losing jobs all while the really good jobs that people say they want are there for the taking, if people were just willing to work for them.

TJR

Why should Johnny go to college to be saddled with $150,000 of student loans to get a $30,000 a year job?

Johnny needs to go get some SKILLS from a technical school and take one of the $60,000-80,000 jobs that are begging to be filled.

Too bad Johnny's mommy and daddy want him to go to COLLEGE to AMOUNT TO SOMETHING instead of going to the dumb ol' technical school...

Johnny's mommy and daddy are to blame here.

It is only going to get worse-- A LOT WORSE. In 4 years the baby boomers are retiring and then there is no one going to fill their skilled jobs. We are really going to be screwed in a few more years.

Read the executive summary of this report to start to get a glimpse of how bad it is:

Gavin,

I went to a college...and it was a technical school of sorts. It's name: the "Rochester Institute of Technology" (RIT).

They have a co-op program, which means starting as early as your 2nd year you can work an entire semester as a paid intern, and do that every other semester. The college helps you find a co-op job. The co-ops turn a 4 year degreed program into a 5 year track, but they allow you to pretty much pay for your own school the 3rd, 4th and 5th years. Your co-ops almost assure you a job offer when you get done with school.

What if I told you that I that for those willing to work for it they can pay their way through college; they can be assured a good job upon leaving college, with a starting salary of $60K (avg across the country, adjust accordingly for various locales) and have the potential to earn 6 figures within 3 to 5 years...shouldn't that appeal to many?

So, your claims:

- $150k in student loans? It doesn't have to be that way. Go to a 2 year community college, then transfer. Work one semester, then go to school another and if you are smart find a college like RIT that makes that easy...pay as you go.

- Johnny needs skills! I agree with that. Johnny needs skills and experience to be valuable to a potential employer. Even more reason to go to a college that has a proven co-op or internship program, regardless the degree and the field.

- "Send him to college to amount to something" Clearly that's just a sarcastic, biased statement. Anyone that goes to college and does so without considering college an investment, that like any other investment has to show a return (ROI), is potentially wasting time and money. Not all people view college that way. Stereotyping is the little brother of bigotry.

We will have problems filling skilled and highly skilled jobs, both, in the decades coming. Maybe the Mexicans will be willing to work hard, learn, and do our jobs for us.

TJR

TJR, I don't know how to respond. I think you are trying to start an argument here, even though we are both in pretty much agreement.

Bottom line: If you want to help your kid be prepared for the world, learn what is out there and choose the best option for him/her. There are lots of opportunities for anyone who wants to do well and have a great career. The lack of skilled workers is only going to more clearly differentiate the results of choosing a path for further education. There are great opportunities out there, so don't screw up and send your kid off to something expensive with no return or future.

Skilled workers in the engineering field can start at $70K. We're not talking about a Bachelors in Business (which I have). Technical degrees such as engineering, science and medical, are going to be desired for the long run.

I was somewhat satisfied with the education my daughter was receiving in the US, until she started school in Poland. She was a straight A student in the honors program in the US. Here she is struggling to pass her courses, because the educational standards are so much tougher. There is no such thing as "curving grades" If everyone fails, then so be it. Our schools have "dumbed down" the curriculum so much that the diplomas are almost worthless.

I had a feeling this had happened, since when I took college courses in the early 80s, I struggled. When I returned to college in the early 90s, the courses were a breeze and I carried a 4.0 GPA. I thought it was just from being more mature, but I did feel the standards had been lowered a bit.

Gavin,

Yeah, we probably are on the same page.

It just seemed as if your page was anti-college, pro-tech school, and that's simply biased. Both routes, if you pick a bad degree/program are a waste of time and money.

TJR

It just seemed as if your page was anti-college, pro-tech school, and that's simply biased. Both routes, if you pick a bad degree/program are a waste of time and money.

Yeah I see both sides all too many times.

College degree person making less than 40K a year. To the non-college degree making 200K in commission sales. And, vice versa.

How about the person that goes to Stanford and gets a degree compared to a small state school degree. You can guess the earning potentials? Small state school person makes more money than the Stanford grad.

It goes both ways.

Latest posts