Maybe a VW Pickup in your future?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard, you keep focusing on the HP but with a diesel its all about the torque! HP is calculated by torque and RPM, so with a diesel that can't rev as high as a gas engine HP is not an equal comparison.

"180-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder twin-turbo-diesel with 295 lb-ft of torque"

I'd buy one of those VW's, or any midsize 4 door truck with a turbodiesel with a measly 180 HP any day...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I am not focusing on the HP, I am focusing on the fact that Americans will be hard to sell on a 4 cylinder diesel engine.

It's just my personal opinion that 180 HP in a 4300 lbs truck is underpowered for most American drivers.

The HP is not as much of a drawback as the 4 cylinder diesel is, which is the hard sell in the US. Again, only time will tell.

Why would you buy one of those VW's? There is no real test data or detailed specs...so I am reserving my opinion until after they can show that 180HP can do in a 4300 lbs truck.

...Rich

If interested, check the diesel swap forums. You'd be surprised at the results and the size of the vehicles they are put into.

Hugh,

Again, I am not knocking the virtues of the diesel engine...I am not even knocking the 4 cylinder diesel that VW is putting in their pickup truck. My point is that American consumers were burned a number of times by small cheap diesels like the VW Rabbit and the old Olds 350 of the early-mid 1980's. Small diesels, especially from VW may bring back a lot of bad memories in Americans who thought that the diesel was the way to go back then. VW has a very big job to convice many Americans that a 4 cylinder diesel engine will work in a pickup truck.

It may work great, but without driving one, seeing detailed specs or at least getting some feedback from people who have driven one, I will reserve my judgement.

...Rich

Yeah, the American public frustrates me in many ways. The fear of diesel is one of them.

I certainly wouldn't buy a Volkswagen, though. I do have to give them credit on the redesign of the Beetle. Looks much better; not great, but better. If only their quality wasn't such an issue, the truck would possibly stand a chance with a gasoline engine.

IMO, a good direct injection turbo 4cyl diesel. Mid size truck. Is ok by me.

Full size like f-150, nope.

What I dont like is some of these modern diesels. Have to have the urea catylyst changed. To meet emmissions, To my under standing. Maybe Im wrong. Maybe a tech can chime in.

Im also confused about using urea. That is nitrogen. I thought that is one of the issues enviromentaly.

Latest posts