Manual Transmission question for Todd Z & Don D

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Todd & Don D,

Todd said:

"hydraulic clutch is junk"

What hydraulics, Master & Slave cylinders, do you recommend? I asked Todd what "slave cylinder" he recommended just over a month ago, and he said to go with OEM; now he's saying it's junk (huh). I ask this because after having a new "OEM" slave clyinder & master cylinder put in, our manual tranny ST, and I still ocasionally have trouble shifting. Had the tranny rebuilt twice. What makes the "M5OD-R1HD" different? How can I make sure our manual tranny meets "HD" specs? Thank You.

OEM is as good as any other out there is what he/they are saying. And,,, I believe that is was determined that one of the replacement manufactures was who actually built it for the Ford.

Thus,,, OEM is as good as the aftermarket as they are one in the same in essence...

Like anything, it is only as good as the weakest link. The actual component is weak as compared to most other slave cylinders.

Other than flush the fluid more often than normal to ensure there is no air or water in the system that will affect the internal components, there is very little you can do from what I know...

+1 on what coastie said.....

nothing out there..... the OEM can only Handel so much..

Todd Z

The next slave cylinder that I put in will be this one from Summit racing.

Dorman Clutch Slave Cylinders, Cast Aluminum, Natural, Ford, Mazda, SUV, Pickup, Minivan, Each

Part Number: DHB-CS360016

And, possibly a Zoom Performance Pilot Bearing, KEVLAR, Solid-Type, Ford, Each

Part Number: ZZZ-ST50KPB

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger,

I do not have a manual transmission and do not have any particular experience working on them so take my advice with a grain of salt as it where... however I am a ford nut and it is my understanding that the source transmission that would be best for you swap application is the M5OD-R1HD which is what Ford mated with the v6 ranger. Apparently it has stronger syncros and taller gear ratios than the regular M5OD as well as a higher torque rating. It can also be mated to either the OHV or SHOC engine which means it could be sourced from a variety for fords newer than 00' and it would be compatible. The explorers used the M5R4 which is another mazda based transmission like the M5OD but shares no parts internally and is of a completely different design.

>this "free" advice is just what I have researched in my own curiosities of doing a manual swap... I it is my opinion that you could have a successful swap and it could be as strong as you want through some aftermarket modification... just do some research on what people with manual rangers do to beef it up for 4x4ing.

I got this from the "ranger station" website regarding the differences between the manual ford light truck transmissions

http://rsgear.com/articles/2002_11.pdf

the gear ratios

Gear M5OD-R1 M5OD-R1HD M5R4

1st 3.72 3.40 3.37

2nd 2.20 2.05 2.04

3rd 1.50 1.31 1.30

4th 1.00 1.00 1.0

5th(OD) 0.79 0.79 0.78

Reverse 3.40 3.40 3.40

>the M50D:

[Broken External Image]:

here is the link I pulled some of this info from:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they replace the syncros when they rebuilt it? From my recollection of my old 4.0 5 speeds (93 Ranger 4.0 with Paxton supercharger and 93 Explorer Sport), the syncros were very common to be worn and cause hard shifting at times. I never had mine rebuilt, although I did change out the entire clutch system and clutch on the Ex (used all Ford parts, nothing better from my research), but the info I found always pointed to them.

Latest posts