Magnaflow 16679

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it for $490 on Amazon... but I ended up not using it. I wasn't happy with how the muffler was constructed, it's essentially a glasspack, nonchambered muffler. I returned it and went with the Gibson 3" stainless system. Take a look at the stock exhaust, the tubing is 2.75" so going with a magnaflow at 2.5" is too small for a single system in my opinion.

If you're sold on the Magnaflow, a few have made an "offer" at Performance Peddler and got the best price.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=msg&VIEW=1283118&SUB=1283123&sitename=mysporttrac

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Is the Gibson muffler a chambered type of muffler? I'm looking at either the Magnaflow or Gibson systems available for my Edge, and was curious about this. From everything I can find, the Gibson systems seem to be a bit louder than the Mangflow ones. What can you tell me about the type of sound and noise level of the Gibson?

Yes the Gibson is a chambered muffler. I didn't install the magnaflow so I can't compare the two very well, but I really like the sound of the Gibson. It has an aggressive pop on startup, good idle sound level, and no drone or resonance at highway cruising speeds. Getting on it a bit 3k+rpm's it really opens up and sounds great. more conservative driving and I think the sound level is pretty tame which is what I was after.

The magna-flow may look like a glass pack. It is not. The sound is not the same. It more mellow than chambered and less drone. None of the rackety sound of a glass pack.

Here is a 4.6 sound file..

there's some good info in that post sws. I also tried the resonator delete, and was happy with it for a while. when getting on it, it kind of sounded like blowing thru a small straw. strange noise and actually got quieter as the rpm's increased.

But after installing the Gibson, there's no comparison in my opinion, gibson was a big improvement in every way. I wish I would have kept the stock exhaust original, to have as an option to re-install if I want to later, but the resonator delete is certainly a cheaper option if you want to try it...

check out this discussion on magnaflow, many of the reasons I returned the magnaflow system...

edit: removed huge pic, see the link for pictures of the construction quality. the kinks and bad bends were even worse on the muffler in the Sport Trac system...

Im not saying magna flow is the best. It is better than a glass pack. As far as open flow type muflers. I have used many brands of mufflers. In my more than 40yrs of building cars. I cant say who is better. Just that some dont sound as good on certain motors or perform. I have never had the problem with magna flow the article shows. Im sure others have. On that note I myself and freinds have had failures on many others. I agree that exhaust systems are over priced. Magna flow is one of them. They arent the only company hyping up their ads. It seems to me that any of them that do well from ads and hype. Thier quality goes down as the price go's up....

If you read the second post. This guy is advertising for his company.

i had the magna-flow on my 07 lmtd 4.6L

imo, it sounded awesome and the interior noise was at a minimum until WOT.

i also rec'd numerous compliments on the sound with people saying it sounded like a mustang.

i would do it again. :supercool:

[Broken External Image]:

I installed the MagnaFlow on my 2008 4.6l 4x4 XLT Trac and I love it. I have had many MagnaFlow systems over the years and never an issue. If the tubing diameter is smaller than stock that is fine as the system flows better than stock. The sound is great and like other people have said, at WOT it just plain sounds EVIL. I also agree that it will give you a sound close to a Mustang. Good Luck either way you go.:haveabeer:

I also have the Magnaflow system on my '07. Its been on since about 10k miles and the truck now has ~92k. I installed it myself without a lift. No problems with the exhaust, period. And it sounds awesome IMO. As others have said, many compliments from anyone who rides in the truck. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Wayne, I went a completely different route with mine. Magnaflow hi-flow cats, a 2 into 2 muffler and a dual exit. The sound is incredible, quiet enough to sneak home and loud enough under throttle to sound like a 5.0 Mustang.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Just wanted to give you something to think about! Bob

Not to hijack this thread but after seeing you guys' photos all I can say is I wish Ford would have kept making these things!

Latest posts