Loud tire-like noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Duff

Reaction score
At about 60k, I noticed a noise that resembles as if I had a set of nubby tires on. I now have 80k on my '04 ST (4x4) and just put on a fresh set of tires that are real quiet. No luck, noise is still there.

Has anyone else experienced the same or has a better understanding of what this could be?

Without hearing the noise it's hard to say. Does noise increase with engine speed or road speed? Any clue as to what area of car it's coming from? Are your driveline fluids (transmission, transfer case, differentials) up to snuff? To pinpoint you'll need to get car up on a lift or stands and look at everything. Check out Eric The Car Guy's videos on this subject.

These are great starting points. I appreciate the insight.

The noise does increase with speed but not rpm. I can put it in neutral and coast and it is there so it has to be something in the hub.

At what speeds do you hear this? Can you feel it ether in the steering wheel or seat?

Check this chart for ideas:

I was having this same noise. Had it checked and my front tires were cupped. Moved the tires to the back criss-crossing and the noise is gone. I will be replacing the tires soon.

Tire cupping is abnormal wear. Something caused the cupping. If not corrected, your new tires will have the same problem.

Phooey - mine just started doing that as well. At low speed it sounds/feels like a knobby tire sound/vibration.

Typically, worn hub bearings make that noise at low speeds. Mine turned-out to be worn tires - they sound that much alike.

How many miles on the bearings?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I replaced the driver side front wheel hub and like magic, no more noise. It fantastically quiet again with fresh rubber too!

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I replaced the driver side front wheel hub and like magic, no more noise. It fantastically quiet again with fresh rubber too!

Latest posts