loud air/sucking noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg schnelle

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Sport Trac XLT with a V8. I actually have two problems, one I smell gas in the cab when I'm driving, it's almost all the time. The other problem, not sure if it's related, on hot days I hear a loud airy/ sucking sound as the RPMs go up, then when the RPMs drop the noise stops, any ideas? Thanks

I have heard some people say that "Fords Suck", but never actually heard one make a sucking sound? :bwahaha:

Gas smell is typically a problem with the EVAP system or a leak....however the EVAP problem will usually give a CEL error code?

Go by AutoZone and have them connect a Code Reader to see if there are any error codes stored in the PCM....the check is free and they will also give you a print out of possible causes for the error code/s.

...Rich

08sta, have you had your problem looked into?

Rich, thanks for the advice, I'll run to Autozone tonight. I thought they could only do that if the check engine light is on, mine is not

I've never looked into it as it isn't really a issue for me. I am fairly certain it's intake noise which every car has to varying levels. Mine has been a day one thing if yours is something that just started there may be something further. For example if you just changed your air filter less restrictions more flow equals more noise.

How long ago did you change the plugs????

The ST is KNOWN for smelling gas in the cab and outside when the spark plugs are loose.

YES even if you think they are tight, I almost BET that's the issue.

As for the sound, Its getting warm out, The AC and defroster are starting to kick in.

Mine both do it as the weather changes.

Todd Z

Just curious but does your ST have the stock air filter? As 08sta suggested the air intake can make some noise and especially if it has an aftermarket filter or cold air intake (CAI) assembly.

My last oil change I had the air filter changed. Also, I just changed all the plugs and coil packs 2 weeks ago. I'm almost certain i cranked them in pretty good, but maybe I'll give them another try

Latest posts