Loose Lock on OME Tonneau Cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Shawley

Reaction score
Hello! Let me first introduce myself. My name is Jason. I just bought a Silver 2004 Trac with 65,000 miles on it. it's loaded with everything you could want on a Trac. I don't have a picture yet but I will post one as soon as it stops snowing here in Wisconsin. I have been reading all of the post here and it helped me make my decision to get the Trac. My wife drives a 2005 Escape Limited and we loved that so I figured what the Hey i will get the Trac. OK... On to the question at hand.

On my OME Tonneau cover the lock by the tailgate is very loose. Does anyone know how to tighten it up? on the top of the cover it seems fine. It's loose under the tonneau where it pulls the wire to release the locks.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Jason

I suspect the metal clip that holds it down is either gone or needs to be "bent" slightly to tighten it. Look on your other one to see and compare the two. Easy fix and hope thats it. If missing, contact Rusty.

Enjoy your snow.

Liberty

I have already been looking at Mods. I just need to figure out what to do first. I will be limited this winter becasue my garage is small and has to hold two Fords. I have already taken off the dealer stickers and now fixed the Tonneau cover. So many options so little money :p Any suggestions on what I should do first? I think everything on my Trac is stock.

J.

My first was the air intake. I got the one off E-bay and it works fine. Cleans just like the others.(K&N, Airraid,etc) Also, SHOCKS if it still has OE ones on it. Here is a link to the intake I bought.;)

Two things,

1. The U-shaped spring clip is too flat and needs to be bent so it holds tighter.

2. If the rubber housing is loose, it is only held in place by plastic push-in rivets (X-mas trees) and work loose very easily. Someone did a projet to replace the plastic rivets with 3/8" diameter carriage bolts and lock nuts, and that will cure that problem.

...Rich

Latest posts