1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Looking for some help

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Phil V, May 13, 2018.

1. Phil V

Phil V Active Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Not long after my post about being done with the Trac, it left me stranded for the second time in 7 years. I'm not even mad.

I blew the coolant line that goes from the thermostat housing to the heater core (the 90 degree elbow). Anyways I was driving at highway speeds when I noticed my temp getting up over 100 degrees Celcius or about 220f on my ultragauge. Pulled off the highway and called a tow truck.

I've been working so I haven't had a change to address it but I got the elbow along with some coolant. Had a simmonz thermostat housing, a 180f thermostat, new rad hoses, temperature sensor and bypass hose which I installed today.

I filled up the rad with coolant and started it up. It didn't want to start very easily but once it did it idled fine. Temps got up over 100 again so I shut it off. The level of coolant in the rad didn't go down at all. I put the old one back in and same thing. Then I tested both thermostats in boiling water and they function fine.

No coolant seems to be circulating, did I seize the water pump? I have a new rad coming so I am not opposed to replacing the water pump but I want to be sure this will solve the problem.

My other thoughts are maybe there is a blockage somewhere. Please help! Thanks in advance,

-Phil

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

If the pump was siezed. you would burn the belt off. If you are high milage. The implerar might have turned loose. or slowly worn down. Go with the new rad first.

3. Phil V

Okay thanks Eddie I'll do that and see what happens

4. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

OR it was air locked due to the angle you had it sitting at, it should be as level as possible.....
    The rad you can check with flowing a LOW pressure hose through the top to bottom.......
    If your over 150K, I would change the pump any way. ALSO make sure your lower hose was not getting sucked flat, that would indicate, air or clog.

5. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

High miles and years of service. It would be a good Idea to change top and bottom hose with the Rad...

6. Phil V

It was definitely air locked. I had my mechanic install the rad and bleed it since I just want my truck back. Driving an A3 right now. It's nice and all but it's not a Sport Trac.

I got an all aluminum rad off ebay. It required the fan shroud to be cut which is fine but the transmission cooling lines needed to be adapted. Still though it's a good quality radiator. I'll leave the water pump for now. With the simmons autosportz thermostat housing I replaced the upper and lower rad hoses, bypass hose, the 90, thermostat and new temperature sensor.

Thought it was all good, but turns out the sensor was faulty. I ordered a motorcraft sensor from rock auto. I'll be getting a refund shortly. Anyways I got my truck back today and it was reading temps of 320f. I figured I'd just go ahead and put another sensor in and see what happens. Got one from canadian tire, put it in and dipped it in the hot coolant for a bit and it read perfectly. Only thing is which I already knew from the instructions with the thermostat housing, it didn't fit. Thought I could make it work but for whatever reason it just doesn't go in. Once again my truck is not driveable. It'll be a couple days before the new sensor comes and then I should be good to go.

7. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

You had to cut the shield as its not the right radiator, and that's why the cooling lines needed adaptors...... there are 2 radiators for the early Gen 1 trucks..... need to get the right one....

Either way I'm glad you got it fixed and back on the road.

8. Phil V

Thanks for the info Todd I didn’t realize there were different rads. The one I bought off eBay was listed for all years of the first gen. Didn’t think there was so much difference! Either way it’s in now and should keep nice and cold

Todd Z likes this.