Look what I got from FORD today?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Yarbough

Reaction score
Today I received what I would call a service bulletin for my 2007 V8 Sport Trac. The letter says that Ford Motor Company is providing a no-charge Customer Satisfaction Program (Program Number 09B11) for my vehicle.

It says, "On your vehicle, the transmission gearshift lever may not move out of the park position even when the brake pedal is depressed. This "stuck in park" condition can develop due to contamination building up on the contacts of the park detect switch located on the transmission gearshift lever.

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to replace the gearshift lever circuit board free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program."

I personally have NOT had any issues with the gearshift lever moving out of park, but my truck is a garage queen (not my daily driver) so maybe some of you that drive yours more frequently have experienced this. I will eventually take it in and have the gearshift lever circuit board replaced but i'm not in a big rush to do it. It says I have until January 31, 2011 to do it so no big rush for me.

I don't recall reading about to many instances of this happening on the website but i'm curious as to who has experienced this problem. Either way, i'm pleased that FORD has stepped up and, form what I can tell, is being proactive about the issue.

I will scan my document and post it in my library as soon as possible.

The Mustang I just bought has a whole page in the Owner's Manual devoted to how to correct the problem you described. They provide a removeable plate beside the shifter and show you how to insert a screwdriver in a hole to release the shifter.

I had that problem of the shifter being stuck in park. I can't recall if there was a TSB on it (2+ years ago), but my local dealer here was aware of it, and they had several Explorers/Tracs coming in for the same issue. The reason they said was the same as you are listing.

If I remember right, the fix took basically no time (maybe an hour or 2?), and have had zero problems since. If you have 'til 01/31/11 then I'd wait to see if/when it happens, but would definitely do it.

Got my letter today as well. It has been stucky at times, but never stuck. Either way I will take it to be serviced as my luck will have it sticking in the middle of nowhere with no tools for miles. LOL

I have had a "sticky" problem with mine, not to the point of having to do the fix-it project which was sent with the letter, but has been a problem for quite some time. To the shop tomorrow... maybe take an F150 Platinum for a drive!

Never liked the placement of the gearshift either.

My opinion is, they should have left it on the column in the first place!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happen on mine while I was out of town. Very inconvenient. Got stuck several times.

If it happens, you may not be able to get the shifter/switch to activate and you will be stuck. You can take apart the console and manually move the lockout switch but you may not have the tools to do this. Even if you haven't had trouble, get the SB bulletin fix. You don't want to get stuck at an inopportune time.

Found out there was a service bulletin out on the issue. I'm surprised they didn't recall this before now.

They will replace the shifter and the lock out switch that's causing the problem and I waited for mine while they did it. No problem since.

I have not had this problem at all and have not yet received a letter about it. Between the gearshift in the floor and the V-8, are two of the main reasons I wanted a Gen 2 to replace my Gen 1.

I had to get mine replaced on my 07 V6 Trac about 8 months ago. Would not come out of park - had to press the brake and the shift release button several times before it would shift out of park.

I had to get mine replaced on my 07 V6 Trac about 8 months ago. Would not come out of park - had to press the brake and the shift release button several times before it would shift out of park.

If they charged you to do this, which I doubt, they will refund yor money now that this service bulletin was issued.

I bet many of you will be receiving this notification in the near future.... never had the issue with mine but I will eventually take it in to have the fix implemented.

Between the gearshift in the floor and the V-8, are two of the main reasons I wanted a Gen 2

Me to, I loved how the gearshift looked in the F-150s and I was glad they adopted the design for the ST as well.

Pappy, I also want to test drive the Platinum F-150...they're sharp lookin trucks.

Even if you don't get the letter, it's a good idea to contact your dealer and have them run an OASIS on your VIN. It may apply to your vehicle, you just haven't gotten your letter yet. It will also tell if there are any other outstanding recalls, or Field Service Actions as they rather call them now, on your vehicle. Whenever you take your vehicle in for service, Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury dealers run one anyway, just to be sure.

got mine done this morning, took about an hour and a half.

Chazon, Yes Ford should re-emburse you.

On my notice...

"If you paid to replace your vehicles transmission gearshift lever for a 'stuck in park' concern, before the date of this letter,you may be eligible for a refund. To initiate a refund request, please give your paid original receipt to your dealer before July 31, 2010. To avoid delays, do not send receipts to Ford Motor Company."

P.S. Didn't get to drive the "Platinum" too crappy around here today:smile0010:

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a 2009 and not not heard anythign about this. I will have to check it out. Taking road trip this year and don't want problems in Kansas.

Gerry

Yes, I got the letter today as well for my 2007 V-6.

Said that they want to replace the "Gearshift lever circuit board free of charge (parts and labor)..."

:smile0001:

Latest posts