Linux Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I decided to give Linux another shot. It has been years since I ran Linux and wanted to see how how good it has gotten.

OMFG! I am running Ubuntu Linux at the moment. It runs really nice, but I notice issues with installing software like flash or an MP3 codec.

Any idea's how to do this?

Tom

I am fully aware the Linux must run Linux versions. RPM's will unpackage, but cant get them to install. I am missing something, but can not go from there.

Tom

There are many diff Linux distros. Try to make sure you are using RPMs compatible with your ver of Ubuntu whenever possible.

Beyond that, if you think you are doing everything right and packages still aren't installing properly, you should contact the supplier of the packages using their online support fora.

TJR

Try downloading it as a .deb package and double clicking the file and click install.

.deb packages come with the installer.

I also run Ubuntu 9.10. as a dual boot with Vista.

You can use the Synaptic Package manager or use Alien to convert it. Check the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just so stupid. Why can't be using Linux easy?

I want to install the Restricted Formats Package, but I do not know how to do it. Any idea's?

Tom

At the bottom of the page of the link I gave you, there is a link to Ubuntu Help.

It will tell you how to do it. It is easier for you to read it than it is for me to explain it.

Linux is not Windows First thing to understand. Ubuntu uses .deb files for easiest install If you go to Applications,Add/Remove and click . Then where is says Show click the All Applications This will bring up a box that asks if you want to add other package sources click yes. It will update your sources .

Another good application is Ubuntu Tweak. Shows all sources .

Stay with it don't give up. I have been using Ubuntu for 6 years now, and found only one program I can not run under Linux.

If you play Windows install disc backwards you can hear Bill Gates Make fun of Apple.....worse yet play it forward and it installs Windows:D

When I try to install flash, I get this error...

"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libnspr4-dev"

I get the same error no matter what I try to install.

Tom

It is listed, but it says "Not available for your hardware architecture".

This is what pissed me off about Linux the last time I used it.

I mean, all of my hardware had no problems, even the wireless Cardbus Card and the printer on the network was found and installed. The install was flawless. Now this crap.

Tom

This is just so stupid. Why can't be using Linux easy?

Because Linux isn't designed to be a serious operating system to compete with Windows to be in every home. It's like a pet project of techs, and if it were easier to use, it would take away the prestige of those who love to use it.

Consider that most of the linux users are rabid fanboys who install linux on EVERYTHING from TI graphing calculators to PSPs to Wiis, to anything that has a chip. They are with linux to everything electronic as zeus was to everything that moved. Check out any university--any community college--shoot, any high school's computer science classes, and then tell me it isn't true.

(Of course, if you ask these fanboys what they can DO with their linux installs, they'll get all indignant and tell you that it isn't what you can do--which is nothing--rather, it's the fact that putting linux on there can be done.)

Sure, linux CAN be used to run some servers, and it works great to get at a dead hard drive, or run utility programs to wipe your hard drive, but as a full fledged OS for normal use, it fails.

It has 2 modes--text based (unix rip off) and GUI, which is in ubuntu what would happen if windows and osx had a kid, and the child lost all of the convenience of both. Which is why the rest of the world still uses one of those other 2 operating systems--because why bother with a lite version of them when you have the real thing?

It is listed, but it says "Not available for your hardware architecture".

Don't feel bad, linux isn't even compatible between all versions. Mint != Ubuntu != red hat.....

This is what pissed me off about Linux the last time I used it.

I knows.

It's amazing--all of the operating systems in use today are rips of unix, and yet the one that you'd think is closest (linux), sucks the hardest.

Here is an update. I needed to install some updates to Ubuntu. After the updates were installed, it prompted me to restart. Upon restart, GRUB would not load Ubuntu. WTF!?!?!?!?

I go back into Win7 and re-installed Ubuntu. After I went back into Ubuntu, still the same issues. I, again, installed the updates and restarted the computer. She fired right up. I installed flash using the Ubuntu Software Center. Installed without any issues.

Installed MP3 support and plays MP3's perfectly!

I am very impressed. Linux decided to become competitive with Microsoft by building glitches in the system that make no sense at all. IMO, Linux is very close to becoming mainstream.

I accept the difficulties associated with running Linux. The price is very affordable. BSOD on M$ products are unacceptable.

Tom

BSOD on M$ products are unacceptable.

You are aware that Linux can crash too, right?

The BSOD is completely overhyped, I've never obtained one in all the months of using Windows 7 and only a handful in XP, and those were my own faults ;)

Congrats, you got Linux working. So what are you going to do with it?

(That you couldn't do with Win 7 that you already have, or even Mac OS, which you could procure)

IMO, Linux is very close to becoming mainstream.

The "IMO" clause saves you here, as it is not. I guarantee you it will be a cold day in hell before the institution that I work for will turn its thousand+ computers and servers over to linux.

You are aware that Linux can crash too, right?

Microsoft charges too much for what you get.

The BSOD is completely overhyped, I've never obtained one in all the months of using Windows 7 and only a handful in XP, and those were my own faults.

I get them once in a while with Win Vista and all the time with WinXP. Have not gotten one on Win7...yet. You know it will happen.

Congrats, you got Linux working. So what are you going to do with it?

I am going to use it as my operating system with Windows decides to play dead on me. You all know what I am talking about.

The "IMO" clause saves you here, as it is not. I guarantee you it will be a cold day in hell before the institution that I work for will turn its thousand+ computers and servers over to linux.

This is a case where M$ has the market. The market share of Linux is nothing. It will always be that way.

I am not saying everyone should go to Linux. What I am saying is that, IMO, Linux has become pretty darn impressive. If I had an old PC to give to a kid for a computer to screw up, I would not pay the hundred bucks M$ would need to get it running when Linux is free, comes with more goodies, runs faster, just as stable, and is free.

I am impressed. Will it ever replace Windows in my home? Never, but I will use it on a PC that needs brought to life as a toy.

Tom

Well Caymen, you basically restated everything I said about Linux.

Will it ever replace Windows in my home? Never, but I will use it on a PC that needs brought to life as a toy

So it does nothing, but is fun to play with. Congrats, you just got tech cred, and that's about it.

If I had an old PC to give to a kid for a computer to screw up, I would not pay the hundred bucks M$ would need to get it running when Linux is free, comes with more goodies, runs faster, just as stable, and is free.

So you've used Linux for a day, and you're telling us how it is awesome? Have you had any programs that are Windows only and tried to run them? Not the "linux versions" of said programs--many do not HAVE linux versions--but the same version that you would run on windows? Emulation isn't great, and it sure won't be "faster than Windows", and odds are your software probably won't work.

Never, but I will use it on a PC that needs brought to life as a toy.

If your PC is so junky that you wouldn't even put XP on it, then why bother with linux? What will you do with it? Play the 20 different simple games that Ubuntu comes with? Flip between the dual desktops repeatedly? If the machine is too crappy to do anything "modern", then linux is not going to magically bestow that ability upon it.

Also, you have no affiliation with the Microsoft Alliance, which would give you Windows 7 and Vista to download (unlimited copies) for free? Even ACM/IEEE membership will give you access to that, which are essentials to anyone in even the remotest tech field.

The market share of Linux is nothing. It will always be that way.

Because Linux is open-source and heinously incompatible with requisite software, and no alternate versions can be made due to the open-sourcing.

Thankfully you see this light.

Enjoy your tech cred, and remember that Ubuntu is just the tip of the Linux iceberg. The integrated Mint cube desktop is far better than the ubuntu double desktop.

Also, you have no affiliation with the Microsoft Alliance, which would give you Windows 7 and Vista to download (unlimited copies) for free?

Nope! I am just a dumb Foreman in a factory over the QA department.

So you've used Linux for a day, and you're telling us how it is awesome? Have you had any programs that are Windows only and tried to run them? Not the "linux versions" of said programs--many do not HAVE linux versions--but the same version that you would run on windows? Emulation isn't great, and it sure won't be "faster than Windows", and odds are your software probably won't work.

For the "average" computer user (email, surfing the net, writing a complaint letter) Linux is perfect.

For the "average", obtaining numerous of copies of Vista and 7 is out of reach.

This is an option that many people can use with little work and a great benefit.

Relax my friend. I will not swear off Bill Gates.

Tom

Nope! I am just a dumb Foreman in a factory over the QA department.

lol, I like to hope that the phrase "dumb Foreman" is an oxymoron ;)

Relax my friend. I will not swear off Bill Gates.

I did, Bill Gates that is as he's a bit of a loon these days, but his company I'll keep with.

(I know what you mean, btw, just making a comment since BG retired that M$ isn't synonymous with him anymore)

This is an option that many people can use with little work and a great benefit.

True, though I have difficulty coming to terms with it as I am a bit too tech oriented for my own good, and linux is problematic with that. Once again, my copy of Ubuntu and I have reached a temporary impasse :(

Who pi$$ed in your Cheerios? ;)

HFCS. lol, this topic happened to come up when I was petitioned by a bunch of "tech savvy" morons insisting that my workplace's hundreds of computers need to have Ubuntu as an alternate OS for dual-booting.

"I can only check my [web-based] email in Firefox, so you should totally put linux on so I can use it."

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

KL,

Been using it for a few days. As I said, to use as your primary PC, I would not want Linux. As for a internet only box, it is perfect.

Been using the crap out of it and I must say, compared to a few years back, Ubuntu is pretty freaking awesome.

It sure kicks Vista in the butt...

Tom

Latest posts