limited slip differential 2007 S.T.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry G.

Reaction score
With truck in neutral and both rear wheels off the ground when I turn either wheel in either direction they are independent of each other, in other words when spinning one wheel the opposite wheel does not move in either direction forward or backward . I'm assuming that this differential is not a limited slip ,am I right or wrong . Yes this is a 4x4 xlt. Thanks .

I think if I had a limiter slip rear diff. my book would also give me the type of additive for that limited slip however it just says what type oil and thats it. So I feel safe going with just the oil it calls for which is 75w-140 synthetic rear axle lubricant. Tell me what you think .

I had 3:55 gears in my 2010 F-150 with a 5.4 V8. It had the dreaded "rumble strip" vibration when turning. The truck called for friction modifier. The tech at the shop told me that instead of "1" bottle of the modifier, to use "2".

ALSO, to take my truck to an empty parking lot, and turn sharp turns/circles about a dozen times each way to break the clutches loose. I did as he said, and the "rumble" went away.

Find out and see if you have a L/S rear end, and get the proper modifier if needed, from FORD. As I recall it was around $8.00/bottle.

I had 3:55 gears in my 2010 F-150 with a 5.4 V8. It had the dreaded "rumble strip" vibration when turning. The truck called for friction modifier. The tech at the shop told me that instead of "1" bottle of the modifier, to use "2".

ALSO, to take my truck to an empty parking lot, and turn sharp turns/circles about a dozen times each way to break the clutches loose. I did as he said, and the "rumble" went away.

Find out and see if you have a L/S rear end, and get the proper modifier if needed, from FORD. As I recall it was around $8.00/bottle.
Thanks R.B. I found out something last night . I bought the oil the book calls for motorcraft 75W-140 and on the bottle it has "Limited Slip" so I think I can be assured it's ok to use. I can call the dealer just to verify it . Thanks .

You are welcome. Glad I could help !!

I found out something last night . I bought the oil the book calls for motorcraft 75W-140 and on the bottle it has "Limited Slip" so I think I can be assured it's ok to use. I can call the dealer just to verify it . Thanks .
I have never had good success with gear oil with the additive, on fords. I still had to buy the friction modifier. I forget the code. there is a code on your door plate that will ID the axle type.

Gen 2 Tracs ('07-'10) were not available with a limited-slip axle since they came with traction control. I change the rear axle lube every 30k and use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic 75w-140. Friction modifier is not necessary.