Leaking transmission fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Coleman

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I got a trans fluid leak that popped up this week. Finally got a good pic of it... any advice on how to fix this??? It's leaking on the hard pipe side of the fitting... I was hoping it was just at the hose clamp, but no such luck....

Wames,

I am completely disoriented by your photo, but I suspect that it may be a cooling line or that connection fitting.

It's hard to tell you more without knowing exacly that is leaking...If it is the line or the fitting, it is probably best to just replace the whole line with the fitting.

...Rich

Rich,

Yes, it is the line to the cooler that is leaking. It's leaking at the fitting, on the hard piped side of the fitting. It's more of a weeping at idle, you can see in the picture some of the fluid on the line.

I was driving back on town for about 100 miles and it was sprayed all over the underside of the car and was smoking when I got home.

I hope that explains what you are confused about....

Wames

Yep I would have to recommend that you just replace the cooling line and the offending connection. You might be able to use a little teflon tape used for plumbing connections for a temporary fix to solve your problem long enough to order a new cooling line w/fitting. It won't get any better by itself.

...Rich

AHH so i see you have a rebuilt tranny on your ST done by ford ???

That filter in that line should be replaced every 30K also.... I personally would cut the line, use transmission line and double clamp it with fuel injection special clamps on each side...

Todd Z

Todd Z,

Yeppers... had the tranny rebuilt at 42k miles.... now she's got 199,980 miles on it! Held up well I'd say.

So, is it possible to cut and re-flare the fitting??? Is it a compression type fitting??

I got a hose and clamps and was thinking of double clamping as you said. I would love to make this an easier fix than replacing the whole line.

Thanks guys!!

Todd Z,

Yeppers... had the tranny rebuilt at 42k miles.... now she's got 199,980 miles on it! Held up well I'd say.

So, is it possible to cut and re-flare the fitting??? Is it a compression type fitting??

I got a hose and clamps and was thinking of double clamping as you said. I would love to make this an easier fix than replacing the whole line.

Thanks guys!!

Wames,

Cutting the fitting out. Getting some hose for trans fluid and double clamps will work just fine. There is not high pressure that the hose and clamps cant hold. It will seal.

If you have a single flare tool, then flare it, But when i double fuel line clamp it, i have never had 1 let go, especially if you push the hose on as far as you can and double clamp each side.....

As eddie said, you can, but dont have to flare it...

Todd Z

Gotcha... well, I got a foot of hose and the section of hose off the filter you see there, is about 4-5 inches long so I can sleeve plenty of new hose onto the tube...

I do have a flare tool but in a way, I think double clamping will be much faster and in the end, less problematic...

I do have one question though, other than the dip-stick tube, where can I add tranny fluid?? I work on most of my car but the tranny's always spook me... I know I have lost some fluid already and will lose more... but was a bit lost about where to add fluid....

Thanks so much guys!!!

A funnel with a short tube. To get above the rad hose. To add fluid in the stick tube. Seen at 99cent stores. Or make one.

Only check the level when hot in park on level ground.

If you don't have a funnel or it is dirty, I just use a rolled up piece of paper on an angle, tape it on the outside to hold it rolled up, cut the end to fit in the dip stick hole and use that as my funnel. Throw it away after use.

Works for me.

Ok guys, cut the line, fitting the new hose and double clamped it with no leaks!

I actually had a funnel that worked perfect.... it was barely low though... just a little added... I was surprised but very little came out after cutting the line....

So far, it seems good... drove to work and back home for lunch and still looks good!

Thanks a bunch guys!!! It's nice to know this site is here, it has saved my butt a number of times....

Latest posts