Last thoughts on "The Noise"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy GreeneII

Reaction score
Ok, so I will stop hogging the board with this issue but I thought I would give one last update and again ask for opinions. I realize this is annoying and will now stop but here goes......The rattle is very faint now, no way I could hear it with the windows up. The only place I can hear it is where I first noticed it, and it was loud then. Now, I have to be going up hill, and around 1800 1900 rpms. It happens right as you would usually give it a little gas to get into the next lower gear because its lagging a tad. The way it is now, its not something I would notice other than it's not there at all when its stock. Thanks again guys, all input welcomed and appreciated.:)

Shell 91 oct at all times. Wierd man, just a rattle, like i said, i dont know squat but to me it sounds like valves but i am really clueless, only at that rmp, only uphill?

My '93 Ranger with 4.0L engine did something similar. I believe there was a tsb on it concerning an updated intake manifold gasket that Ford issued, covering all the 4.0L engines. I believe that the 4.0L was somewhat redisgned around '95 or '96, but the one in the Ranger looks very similar to the one in my ST, so I don't exaclty know what changed in them. The ST does have several more horsepower, so they had to of done something.

Anyway, I would get a rattle or tapping noise from the engine when it was under load. When I was researching this for the Ranger, I learned of the revised intake manifold gasket (I believe it was the one between the upper and lower plenums). A couple things I was told was to retorque all the manifold bolts per factory specs to make sure they are tight, and to pull the middle spark plug (can't remember which side) and if it had significantly more carbon buildup than the other plugs, this gasket was probably at fault. I never had the gasket replaced, just continued to drive it with the annoying noise. Eventually (unrelated I guess) I blew a head gasket and had to have the top end of the engine rebuilt. After they were finished (I assume they used the revised gasket), no more ticking/rattling.

I'm definitely not saying this is your problem, but it is something I would at least check. I don't have the torque specs/pattern for this engine, maybe someone else here does. I'd also check the exhaust manifold bolts to make sure they are tight. In my Mustang I had a loose header bolt and it made a ticking noise. Just a thought.

To me from, everything you have said, sounds as if the tuning has too much timing advance.

Disclaimer: Just a thought, in case I get shot down.

Thanks guys, gonna look into all of this. Eddie, I have a question, Wayne sent another tune with air/fuel adjustment and timimng adjustment. I cannot duplicate this unless, uphill and only under those conditions. If Im in n or park cannot do it. Would this fit in the timing issue? Thanks as usual, to all.

If it is a timing isue. Going up hill is requiring more trottle. More loadon the engine. If it is timming, I would think you could find the same rattle or pinging, on flat ground. Take close notice of throttle position and rpms. Experiment with acelleratingabove and below, those, on level ground.

Otherwise Iam at lose to advise.

Diclaimer: Just a thought.

Ok guys, just to clarify, I have several guys in Cali running on similar tunes with comparable timing/fuel maps, and havent had any issues. This is vehicle specific, and I am working it out with Ted. I just shot him another tune, and that should take care of his issue.

Latest posts