KKM Intake Whistle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Dion

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just installed the KKM intake on my 07 4.0. Notice a little more power (maybe), but defenitely better response. Only problem is that there is almost a constant whistle. I like the whistle when I'm really into the gas, but even when I'm at idle or barely on the gas, I can here a little whistle.

Any ideas on anything I can do to get rid of this?

Thanks for your informative answer. I was aware of the obvious.

I'll wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to give me an idea of anything that can be done, such as a modification to the intake or stock TB.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Steve:

I had it on my '04 4.0 when I installed a K&N FIPK, but it went away over time. When I replaced the TB with one from Todd, the whistle came back. Though not a solution, consider this an advisement that a replacement TB--while great in itself--may not be the solution to the whistle.

Adam,

Thanks for the response. I was doing some searches and found some posts where people said the exact same thing you just told me..

I just did this yesterday, so maybe it will dissipate over time.

Dingo- I could also buy a better filter as suggested, but what brand would be better than K&N? I'm open to suggestions. I have the filter that came w/the KKM right now, but if people are having the same issue with K&N, it would be stupid for me to replace it.

I still would like to do the TB eventually, but I just ordered the intake and a tonneau and want to order gibson exahust in the next week or two. Gotta save some $$, hopefully I can do it in a month or so.

K&N filters suck. I'm sure everyone will disagree. They are 4 layers of gauze coated in oil. Over time, the gauze starts to pull apart just like a gauze bandage and go into your engine, as well as the loose oil coating the wires in your MAF.

The best air filter currently on the market is made by Green ( http://www.greenfilterusa.com). Theirs is 2 layers of woven cotton, like a dress shirt. The airflow is higher, yet more directional, and they outfilter K&N. In addition, you don't have to worry about the fibers coming loose, as they're woven and hold each other in place.

Many of the other filters that are well-regarded are K&N copies, so just be sure to research your filters carefully before purchasing. AFE, Volant, K&N, etc. are all oiled cotton gauze and they're all 4 layers.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Stock filter setup works fine for me. I just change the element at least once a year. No whistle, no oil to ruin my MAF sensor, quick warmup for lower emissions and good driveability. Quick and easy to service. No worry about icing or water in the intake.

Whatever floats your boat. Don't expect stock operation if you take off the stock systems. Obviously Ford engineers worked hard to eliminate the whistle noise.

Not trying to be an a-hole here, but you did ask Any ideas on anything I can do to get rid of this? and I gave you a feasible solution.

Thanks.

My expectations were not for things to operate as they would stock, I would simply just like to eliminate as much of the whistle as I can. I'm fully prepared to live with it if I have to. The improvement in response far outweighs the noise.

I've been putting cone filters on my cars for years, and have never had an issue w/it destroying my MAF. Should this be a major concern for me?

Adam also has the plastic TB that is known for whistling...

I haven't had any one that I sold an 07 tb to tell me it whistles...

I would bet the noise is coming from that KKM maf...

Todd Z

OK...I guess the only way I'll find out is by getting the TB, which I'll be doing hopefully soon enough. Ive only had the truck for a week, too many mods to order at once!

Steve, Remove the air filter and run the truck see if it whistles.....

you can also look at the KKM maf ad see if there is a burr or knurl or any thing in the air flow that would cause it....

Try listening with a long screwdriver or extension at the tbody with the truck running and then at the MAF, that will help tell you where it is coming from..

Todd Z

Steve:

Just to clarify--it's not Todd's TB that brings back a whistle. Rather, in my belief, it is a clean TB unit and or MAF sensor. Todd can attest to the gunk that was on mine before the Zabteck TB went on.

Not to hijack...

Dingo:

It appears Green Filter does not make a replacement for the K&N RF-1048. I've heard only good about their filter products, but am only interested in an easy switch.

I too get a whistle from my K&N FIPK Air Intake. It only whistles at certain points while accelerating. The noise seems to be coming from the throttle body...

Latest posts