keypad issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i went out of town with a friend for the night friday and left my 03 xlt in the driveway with the keys inside (like i always do). upon returning saturday i punched in my code to open the door and noticed that the interior lights wouldnt turn on when i started pushing buttons.

so i think this is a battery issue and since i dont have a spare key, this is kind of an issue. luckily my brother is out of town so i have a spare truck to drive.

is there any way to get into a locked st or get under the hood without getting into the truck? any help would be appreciated. luckily its football season so im not going anywhere today :)

Had the same issue last year, called a L.S, A ton of paper work and 50 bux, he opened the door in a minute with a slim jim.

Well worth it.

Since the Trac has a power point in the bed wouldn't it energize the electrical system enough to open the door if you used a jumper wire made to plug into a lighter socket/power point on one end and the 12V electrical source of your choice on the other? I don't even have my Trac on the road yet so I'm not familiar with the rear power point operation.

I have a long cable I made from 2 old spotlight cords that has a cigar lighter plug on each end ( & a breaker inline) that I use I use if I have to remove or change a battery. Plug one end into the lighter socket and the other into my jump box and it retains all of the vehicle programmed settings. I don't use it as a jump starter but it should feed enough power in to operate the keypad/locks.

Basically a home made one like the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve is correct that you can provide power to the Trac via the Bed Power Point.

Also, most dealerships can cut a key via the VIN. You may have to provide ownership, but it is an answer.

It will NOT be programed, but it WILL get the door open.

Most salvage yards, repair shops and Locks Smiths own slim jims which do work well with the Trac as yet another option...

Since the Trac has a power point in the bed wouldn't it energize the electrical system enough to open the door if you used a jumper wire made to plug into a lighter socket/power point on one end and the 12V electrical source of your choice on the other?

It would work if you could be sure there wasn't a diode along the circuit path.

I am 99% positive it is nothing more than a fused circuit, no diode.

That said, it is fused so don't over-load the loop as if you blow the fuse, you will lose the ability to get power to your battery from an external source....

Bill,

Owning a family salvage yard I guess I just assumed everyone knew how.. LOL

But you are correct, some are harder than others. Especially the smaller GM cars where the Lock handles went in the same direction of the door handle. Those required some skill and a different tool...

DID you walk away from the truck and re try the key code 15 -20 min later...

maybe some one tried a wrong code and the theft took over...

I think it is 1/2 hour it locks the key pad..

Todd Z

It would work if you could be sure there wasn't a diode along the circuit path.

Looks like a straight shot to the Battery Junction Box.

b9dae666f3aafc84941a0ce3a1831c37.jpg

slim jim will not work on a st. there is a small plate blocking the rod. you would have to have an "S" tool that bypasses the plate and hooks on the rod.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts