1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Issues with replacing TPS.

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Proffitt, May 8, 2018.

1. Proffitt

Proffitt Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

I've gotten a few error codes for my TPS (P1121 , P1121 , P0122) and have decided to replace the TPS for starters. The issue I've ran into is that there is no way that the old & new TPS I've received can possibly function correctly. This is assuming that when the throttle lever is moved, the shaft turns the potentiometer and signals to the computer how much it has been rotated...

But, this can't occur with these parts even though every place I've been shows that the new & old TPS are a match for the vehicle. The TPS goes onto the driver side of the vehicle with the opening facing left. The shaft turns clockwise yet the only way the TPS can turn is counter-clockwise (both facing the appropriate way).

The only thing I can think of is that the throttle body attachments (lever etc.) was either placed on backwards, that the throttle body is wrong, or that there is another TPS out there that turns clockwise. The first two instances have been ruled out (kinda ; based on the way the screw holes etc are attached it seems it can only go on 1 way unless the entire intake manifold is off idk I'm still new-ish to fixing vehicles).

My vehicle has had this problem a while, but as it wasn't seen as an immediate issue, I largely ignored it in favor of other repairs until my truck went into limp mode.

2. swshawaii

swshawaii Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  3. Proffitt

Proffitt Member

Ty for this. This confirmed my suspicion, but unfortunately the part mentioned to fit my vehicle is incorrect. My part came today and it rotated the wrong way. I went on the ford.com site and contacted someone who helped me find the correct part and luckily enough it shows a diagram of the way it is connected so pretty hopeful I'll finally get this part right. I don't think my vehicle has had the correct tps on it in years so Idk how bad all that time without it functioning has effected the vehicle.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/potentiometer-engine-throttle-7819741-1

4. swshawaii

Dan Stafford likes this.
  5. swshawaii

Also remember the 2001 model year had two 4.0L SOHC configurations known as Job 1 and Job 2. IIRC, Job 1 had a metal throttle body and intake, along with PCV, oil filter, and and a few other small differences. If your oil fill is on the driver side you have a Job 1 engine. Could very well be where the confusion is. For accuracy, use your VIN when possible.

Job 1 (DY967)
    https://www.scribd.com/document/378...r-8212-4-0l-sohc-removal-and-installation-pdf

Job 2 (DY968)
    https://www.scribd.com/document/378985017/throttle-position-tp-sensor-removal-and-installation-pdf

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Proffitt likes this.
  6. Proffitt

Proffitt Member

The guy I talked to at ford used the VIN to find the product. It arrives Monday after next - ugh -, but I'll come back here to share how it works for others and my future self if I ever need to change again.

From what you described I think I have the Job 2. Plastic throttle body and Oil filter is on passenger (If i remember correctly).

I sincerely thank you for all your help, I actually have a greater issue with my vehicle atm (I think it is stuck in limp-home mode) if you have any advice on this and don't mind to look at I would be further appreciative.

https://www.sporttrac.org/threads/running-down-the-road-sudden-loss-in-power.121796/

7. swshawaii

I believe your p1120/1121 DTC's are directly related to a faulty or improperly installed TPS. From your other thread, doubt the TPS "has not been functional for a year +" unless you've been driving it in "limp mode" that long. Really hope you get the correct replacement. BTW, there is right way and wrong way to install it. When installing, you should feel slight TPS spring pressure. IIRC, tilt the connector end slightly up and turn it down counter clockwise to line up the two bolts. Also curious why you have to wait so long for a normally stocked dealer part. Sellers on eBay or Amazon would be able to deliver the same OE item within a few days, and for less money.