1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Is this normal MPG??

Thread in 'Fuel and MPG' started by Rick Merlin, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Rick Merlin

Rick Merlin Member

I just bought a 2008 Sport Trac XLT with the 4.0L V6 and Love the truck!

My one complaint is the gas milage on this thing... According to my dash readout my "average" MPG is about 15mpg and that is if I am being super conservative on the gas petal and using cruise control whenever possible.

Is the average MPG really that awful? Most of my buddies in their big F150/1500 Rams V8's and oversized tires are averaging like 17MPG and here I am in my tiny V6 truck between 13-15... Ugh :cry:

Is this normal???

2. gyates

gyates Active Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

In my '05 2 wheel drive I get 15mpg in town (mixed type driving) and 20mpg on the highway. Been that way since I bought it 6 years ago..

3. Doug K 2

Doug K 2 Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

I have the same truck, 2008 4.0L V6, since new and my dash normally says about 15, but when I have punched some numbers in myself, I got close to 16. I do mostly in town driving with the occasional 45 mph road. I do baby it a little because of the mpg, but from my experience the dash is pretty close. The window sticker said 14 city and 20 hwy. When I take a road trip with mostly highway driving on cruise control, the dash says 21+.

4. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Yes it is..... and its not that light of a truck..... Close to 5300lbs.

Todd Z

5. Bo Loo

Bo Loo Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I saw an ad for a used ST recently and one of the selling points was its' "great gas mileage".

:bwahaha:

Compared to a Humvee, it's great...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  6. Richard L

Richard L Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Remember the old saying: "Your mileage may vary". Nobody can say what is normal gas mileage for you and your truck because they don't drive like you, they don't travel the same roads, nor have the same weather as you do, and do not experience the same traffic conditions you do.

Poor gas mileage complaint are often caused by your driving habits. Secondary causes for poor gas mileage include under-inflated tires, short trips, weather, hilly terrain, lots of stop and go traffic, and carrying extra weight in the vehicle.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
  7. Gavin Allan

Gavin Allan Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

Ethanol lowers gas mileage too.

8. Robert Howell

Robert Howell Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

My 2009 4.6 gets around 11L/100 KM on a 110 KM/h highway trip, around 21 MPG and Alberta is pretty much flat, I imagine mileage varies quite a bit with terrain.

Around town I don't bother, my foot is into it far to often to be serious about mileage. I don't use ethanol fuel, only 91-94 premium 100% dino fuel.

The 2001 with a 4.0 bests at around 14.5/100 or about 16 MPG on the same trip and speed (<2000 RPM vs 2500+).

9. Michael Roberts

Michael Roberts Member 1st Gen Owner

I'm getting 20-21 MPG (highway) with my 2WD 04. Driving 55-58 MPH @ 18-1900 RPM. I installed the Random Technologies-Y-Pipe & Single Cat about 80,000 miles ago. No exhaust system problems at all. This was the single best mod I did to my truck!:driving:

10. Pete Knippen

Pete Knippen Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

My old ST w/278,000 4.0 V6 almost always avg. 19.3 mpg

on the interstate 10 (flat) @ 70 mph 2500 RPM

My 2010 ST V8 avg. Same trip is 18.7 @ 75mph 2000 RPM however @ 60mph 1500 RPM it would avg. 22.6 so whats normal ? in town the V8 is worse

Never use high octane fuel neither V6 or V8 engine is high compression. only use Ford recommended 87octane, your fooling your self and wasting mony by putting Premium in

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

11. Pete Knippen

Pete Knippen Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

RAM V8 getting 17mpg ? yeah right

Try these tips for better MPG.

1. Make sure you have clean air filter and throttle body.

2. Run some fuel injector cleaner for a couple tank fulls

3. Slap a new fuel filter on there. and do an oil change full syn

4. Make sure your tire pressure is up

5. Easy Does IT on the Green Lights. Because thats where you really suck it down

6. Throttle back on the gas earlier let the Trans shift up

I promise you your MPG WILL go up

12. Heyward Drummond

Heyward Drummond Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine

I've posted other places on this site what I have done. I have an Adrenalin and get 18-19MPG city driving. Here is how:
    1. bought programming chip and programs - use high mpg setting and use 87 octane gas
    2. I purchase 100% gasoline - non-ethanol gasoline which can be purchased in outlieing areas in the country not cities - that adds 2MPGH
    3. I replaced the stock Pirelli tires with Bridgestone tires which greatly improved the ride and helped mileage
    4. replaced the stock shocks
    5. replaced the stock exhaust system and removed the piece that muffles sound - that helped the engine breath better and sound better
    6. replaced the air intake with the one mentioned on this site - wider opening lets more air in
    7. experimented with different air intake filters and went back to stock
    8. just replaced all the brakes and disks with ceramics and love that I no longer have brake dust!!! Smooth braking for sure

Take a look at the projects listed on this site and they work. I love my Adrenalin. Still only have 84,000K and the truck looks like new (always in the garage and used as second rarely used.....will keep it until it dies).

That truck is just fantastic. I get people asking me if this is a new Ford model truck since there aren't many Adrenalins around here!

13. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Blue gets 18-20 when Rachel drives her, I get about 15..... Black gets 13 when I drive her and Rachel about 18......