Is it Legal to....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Drive with the tail gate down if your cargo requires it? I want to carry my motorcycle up to N.C from Florida, and the only way is for the tail gate to be open. Is that a problem?

Agree, as long as the license plate and tail lights are visible. Call your local PD to be sure.

Can't speak for the other states but I know you won't have an issue as you pass through Georgia. You don't need to have a tailgate, or a bed for that matter. Make sure you're buckled, have a current tag, working lights and don't go over 80 and you'll be fine through GA.

Everything is illegal in S.C., though, kinda like Virginia. Make sure to check their laws. I swear the only public revenue generated in S.C. is ticketing out-of-state drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to have tailgate down when using bed extender. Carry a load of hay with tailgate down. Rhino in back of my F250bwith tailgate down. Asked my State Trooper nephew, in Washington it is ok. Just need to be able to see lights.

Never heard of that in Missouri. We drive with our tailgates down, missing, and with our beds removed all the time.

Gavin, I get it, having spent most of my life in Iowa about 40 miles north of Missouri, just north of what my dad referred to as Lapland - where Mo laps over into Ia. I hope you were trying to convey a hillbilly image, because it does.

Going to hit the dragon? :supercool: ... I went last month with tail gate down and had no problems with police. Like one member said: check all lights, buckle up, don't speed especially entering and exiting georgia, cops everywhere stoping people and thats all they do all day long, so keep it under 80mph, my buddy got pulled over and that ticket cost us nearly $500 for going 92mph.

Ride safe and you will love the twisties up there:banana:

Barney Fife has more to worry about than a Tailgate down. If you keep it under the speed limit and have good tiedowns you should be good to roll anywhere they are not rioting and looting.

I have never heard of any law regarding driving with the tailgate down.

Sport Trac even have an optional Bed Extender that requires that the tailgate be lowered and it uses the tailgate as extended cargo space.

The only reason I can think that a cop would bother you would be if you have a bunch poorly secured stuff in the pickup bed and could possibly fall off and pose a danger to other traffic.

As long as you properly secure the motorcycle with strong tie down straps, and you stop periodically to ensure that the straps have not loosened, you should have no problem.

...Rich

Recently did 800 mile trip with my motorcycle in the back from Philly to new Hampshire no problems. Lil sketchy but my trac did it. Curious what's the max payload for the sport trac?
upload_2019-6-18_17-16-32.png

Latest posts