IPOD in sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Train Trac

Neither one of those cables will charge an iPod, they will only allow you to transmit your music, and with that plugged in, you won't be able to plug in a device to charge it either. If you went another route, say with a 3.5mm to RCA cable, then you could control the volume from your iPod and with the stereo, and you could plug in a charger to the iPod. That is the way I do it, granted, it's more cables than I really want, but it works great, and has great sound quality too.

That's what I figured, CraigC. I was just thinking of cutting down on cables. Are you using an FM modulator? If so, where did you install it and the cables to connect the iPod?

Nope, I'm not using a modulator, I tried that once, but I did not enjoy the static (I couldn't find a station that was not close to another station already transmitting signal, dang Houston and all its radio choices). I am using what is pictured below combined together. One end goes into the back of my Alpine head unit, and has the RCA patch cables into which I plug in the the male ended RCA patch cables, and the other end goes into the iPod. (if that makes sense)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I have most of the RCA patch cable hidden inside the cavity behind the radio and glove box, and there is only one wire that is visible, it's about 2 and a half feet long, and it doesn't get in the way or anything, so I like the set-up a lot. To keep it charged, I use an old FM modulator that transmits signal and give the iPod power as well, just without the modulator part.

craig, I put my fm modulator underneath the center console (drinkholder section) and ran the cables for my xm out from between the console and teh dash where the foam is. It draws it's power from the xm unit, but in your case, you could tap into the radio power or the aux power port while you have the console out or the radio out when connecting the antenna cable to the radio. i'll try to take pics this weekend when I tie the Xm into the radio power line.

Gerry,

That's exactly how I was thinking of running mine. I guess great ET minds think alike, eh?:cool:

I am also debating hooking up another 12v charger under the console and having that wire run out the same way, and then just hooking up the iPod and laying it in the front space of the console.

It's not entirely visible here, but I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom right of the console pocket (above the rubber mat), installed a rubber grommet, and ran the wires through it.

[Broken External Image]:

I was looking at something like this, eBay item # 310014300548

It plugs in the bottom of the iPod, has +/- wires and L/R RCAs, so it will play and charge, or at least won't drain the battery when playing through the stereo. I plan to run the wires down under the console and come up through the bottom of the ashtray and straight forward so all you'll see is the end of the wire. When connected, there should be virtually no wiring showing, just a little iPod sitting there.

968e19a4c5a024c28d216d0519cd6605.jpg

Thanks, Jeff C. That's exactly what I was looking for!:cool: And it's not expensive, either. That's great!:D

Adam,

That install looks very nice. The hole/grommet is a good idea. I may do that as well.

Last edited by a moderator: