I'm so stupid sometimes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
In 2002, I accepted a job in England and was offered to bring my 2001 Job 2 Sport Trac 4x4 with me. In anticipation, and as an automotive electrician, I did a complete European lighting conversion on my truck so it would pass British Ministry of Transport inspection at the port. Among other things, I put amber bulbs in the back-up lights and rewired the sockets so they would be rear amber turn signals. The red rear lights became brake/tail only. I installed a Waag rear bumper guard and installed the required white halogen back-up light and a red rear fog light on it. I ended up turning down the English job, but never removed the European conversions. Now, my left rear amber turn signal stopped working and I found a wire dragging under the left rear fender... pulled loose by ice chunks. I reconnected it and nothing. It's 0° F. outside and there's ice compacted under the truck. It feels like I'm hauling around at least 500 pounds of extra weight that's all ice. I have to wait for a few days of melting to look at the mess closer. The bad thing is that I never drew a schematic or wiring diagram of my work back then, so I have no idea where to start looking to fix it. I think it's going to have to wait until spring. Drives me crazy thinking about it.

P9250021.JPG

I think I'm going to wait a few weeks for things to thaw, then rewire the whole mess. I removed the factory trailer lighting plug and installed one of those converter boxes that allows you to use four-wire trailer lights on vehicles with rear amber turn signals. That and all of the wiring is 18 years old and I can just imagine what it looks like after 18 Wisconsin Rust Belt winters.

This Sport Trac has been a loyal friend since 2001, but it's starting to make bump sounds and the rockers are gone under the grey trim. I'm starting to think it won't see next winter. It has 223,000 miles on it. My mechanic has a standing offer to buy it from me; he knows it inside out and backwards and he says it's a solid truck with no mechanical issues. Tranny was rebuilt 25,000 miles ago and needed a visit to the transmission shop once since then due to a faulty valve body gasket, which was repaired for free. No codes, no timing chain noises.

Last edited:
I have a 2002 Ford sport trac 4x4
If you need it , I can take photos of any wiring you need. I also can get any wiring schematic you need as I am a retired/disabled master mechanic and certified by Ford and eight other auto manufacturers so if I can help you in anyway please ask and also my truck has been on modified in anyway shape or form, so it will be all photos of OEM wiring

Thanks. I have a Ford electrical schematic book for the 2001 Sport Trac. I make it a point to buy an electrical diagram book right away whenever I buy a new vehicle. I usually trade vehicles every three years, but I fell in love with this Sport Trac and the love never faded, even after 18 years. But, this winter especially, she's starting to show her age, so I'm looking at new Rangers. Unfortunately, the Rangers cost more than I like, so I might end up with a 2019 Escape 4x4. I no longer own a house, which was the primary reason for originally owning a Sport Trac. I just need to carry four passengers and a couple of small toolboxes, all at a price that won't keep me up at night. A $650 a month payment for five years on the new Ranger is scary to think about.

650 a month!!!!!!
Holy sh!t Batman , that’s crazy
That’s one of the reasons I love my 07 mustang and 02 spot trac. They are both paid for in full
Good luck with getting the wires taken care of

Last edited:

Latest posts