I'm building a swing out tire carrier for my 33" spare tire.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
Ok so I took off the Yakima MegaWarrior that I used for my offroad lights and spare tire so now I need to do something with my 33x12.50x15 spare tire. I'm not taking up the bed to carry it and I can't put it under the bed with the dual exhaust in the way.

I'm taking an idea from another member from the explorerforum named Jefe, he's a genius.

Here's a link to his build that I'm modeling mine after. I know our ST bumpers have a plastic cover but check out his build and you'll see what I have planned.

I'm not building the gas can mount and I'm gonna have a latch on the driverside of the bumper for the tire carrier to latch to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some pictures with the spare tire held in place where it's gonna be.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

That is impressive work. I look forward to seeing your's come together.

I like how (in the link you provided) that guy made his spare tire offset to the right with the gas tank holder on the left. IMO, your set-up would look real sharp like that too.

I'm thing it might be set to the right a couple inches because the riverside already gets most of the weight from the fuel tank and driver, just a thought. I still need to fab up the parts and get the time to park the ST since my wife drives it daily right now it might have to wait til middle of June when she's done working unless I find her another vehicle before then. I have so many plans for it now that it's paid off but she's got the truck so I'm really limited on time with it.

Make sure the trailer you are towing is not going to hit on a sharp turn. From you hitch, it looks like you tow different setups.

I'm retaining the hitch, not doing anything with that until later when I fab up a steel rear bumper. I to all the time with many different types of trailers and never had any problems. The spare won't be in the way of any trailer in turns.

:haveabeer:

I had a thought...it may be stupid. It's just something I thought might be possible because of the difference between an Explorer and a Sport Trac because of the tailgate. But what if...

...a tire mount was built coming out through the top of the tailgate and basically hanging over the back of the tailgate. It would require reinforcing inside the tailgate, but you would still be able to drop the tailgate and use a bed extender or allow things to hang out the bed a little without having the tire carrier swung out to the side. You would have to make sure the tailgate could lay down without the tire interfering with the bumper and that the tailgate could support that kind of weight.

This is just something that popped into my head and hasn't been thought out any more than the amount of time it took me to type this. Kinda been thinking about it as I was writing. Gotta go to work. I'll ponder this some more...

Yeah Hugh, I thought about that. Then I thought about the stress on the tailgate cables and hinges, that and having to lift the weight of the tailgate with the heavy spare tire on it.

I checked out inside the bumper and it'd be easier making a complete steel bumper with tire carrier then fab this setup together but time is kinda hanging me up. I'll figure it out and update the project as it goes.

Yeah, I was thinking it would require a lot of reinforcement at the cables, hinges and guts of the tailgate. I didn't really think about having to lift it, though. That would be a pain.

It would be a lot more difficult to fabricate. Working stuff inside of the tailgate would suck, I'm sure. I still can't really a picture a way that would make it strong enough, either. But it's just one of those crazy ideas that pop into my head from time to time.

So, with the setup you're doing, will there be a way for you leave your tailgate down if you need to or use a bed extender. I have found the need to do those things quite often and wouldn't find this setup acceptable if I couldn't.

I'm going to be watching this process because I'm going to have to find a place to put a full size spare. I have a couple ideas and this has been one of them. Ideally, I'd find a way to cut and reposition things under the bed but I haven't looked into that much.

I have the Yakima MegaWrrior if you still wanted it, it's just taking up space in the shed. I don't think you're gonna be able to squeeze a 37" under the bed even with fabrication.

Oh, I'm actually going with 35s. I actually think I decided today that I will just buy an air compressor to keep in the truck and keep a deflated full size spare underneath.

I'm still considering the basket and will possibly get back to you later about it but right now just isn't possible. I'm getting married in 3 weeks and the honeymoon isn't going to be cheap. Then who really knows what costs I'm taking on the following week? I "think" I have everything covered through June without touching the savings account, but I always plan for the worst.

Ok, what happened with the hummer tires, fell through or just change your mind?

Carol and I just celebrated our six year wedding anniversary, boy when I said "til death due us part" I didn't think I'd be setting a goal.

:bwahaha:

I have no clue where I'd be without her, she is incredible !!! :love:

Nah, it's my soon-to-be brother-in-law that is doing the H1 rims/tires on his 4dr Jeep. I will be buying his 17" AEV wheels and 35" KM2 M/T tires from him when that gets finished. It has become more of a job than was originally planned and taking longer than hoped.

I can't wait to get married. I'm just ready for everything to get here and the wedding part of it to be over. Also looking forward to Jamaica I have to admit. She understands my vehicle obsession, so I think we're going to do alright.

:bwahaha:

Latest posts