If gas stays at $5.00, whats your next car?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin,

A Tacoma requires premium fuel. Pretty stupid on Toyota's part.

If I wanted needed to save that much on gas, I would drive this.

[Broken External Image]:

36 to 40 on the highway and 25 in the city. Runs like a scalded dog and it looks good. Handles like a dream and are cheap.

Been driving those vehicles since 1991.

I have owned a 1991 (got it wrecked for $300.00, 150,000 miles on the odometer, purchased it for the window glass, tranny, engine, and other misc. parts)

1992 140,000 miles and the engine runs great. Never spent 1 dime in repairs.

1996, the one pictured above. Paid $1,730.00 in perfect shape. 83,000 miles. It will be getting a turbo engine installed. That is why I have the engine and tranny from the 1992. I know with over 300 Flywheel HP, I am going to need some spare parts.

Tom

OK-- I'll look for an old Datsun Pickup-- those things run like scalded dogs and never break, although they do rust away. The mid 80's Nissan pickups with the NAPS-Z engines run pretty good too.

For a car, an Omni GLH might fill the bill!

Darin, so true. Just look at a Matrix. ;-)

Gavin, My father had a Datsun Pick-up. He only owned one. Enough said.

Tom

My Dad's got a Tundra. The V-8 is nice, smooth, and powerful. I think it sucks gas about as bad as a SportTrac, though.

I like driving his truck except the interior is full of doghair from his now favorite son....

Edmunds.com has their economy car review posted.... the Mazda 3 took first place, followed by the Honda Civic. The Koreans came through with some good marks as well.

I think they missed out by not testing a Toyota Corolla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick wrote:

<I>"'02 lightning...not so good on gas but before the hurricane i was already thinking about it"</I>

14 MPG tops on the mandatory 91 octane. :( It's killin' me! My next vehicle may very well be a Mini Cooper S.

BTW, if you do get an L, try to get at least an '03. Several mostly minor improvements over the '02, plus one major one: an increase in the spark plug thread depth from 4-1/2 to 9 (to prevent plug launching, which has been a real problem with the '99-'02 Ls).

I'd never intentionally give up my ST. It's the most useful vehicle I have ever owned. I may have to commute for work tho, so I may consider buying a small, cheap car.

I sold a beat up, faded 1992 Geo Prizm for $1000 two weeks ago to a couple that only had an Suburban and an Expedition.

I wonder if I could have gotten more had I held onto it a little longer?

:lol:

You would have a hard time finding a 13 year old Civic or Corolla still on the road.

Tom

My friend Jeff had a '92 Civic. It was a tough little car and still ran great when he got his 4-Runner about 2 months ago. Great car for driving 4 college guys around town, out to the football fields, dinner, etc. Only complaint I had was that when he hit speed bumps, I would hit my head on the roof. I'm betting he still wished he had it now though.