Idler pulley total failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
About 2 years ago I replaced the Idler pulley with one from Autozone because the one in the truck was horribly noisy and wobbled. Well, last night it completely fell apart. There was not warning it just popped. I'm just letting you all know so, if you need a pulley, you get it from somewhere else. I had no choice but to get mine from Advance Auto last night, I was stranded. I hope this one lasts longer...:angry: The worst part is that this happened at work and I had to hear all the Ford jokes from all the GM bastids! :angry:

Sorry to hear about your problems, but it's probably just the luck of the draw. Like most auto parts stores, Advanced Auto get their parts from the same group of suppliers and you could have easily bought the same part from NAPA or OReilly and got the same part. Even Ford's OEM part may not have been any better since that Ideler pully has been a problem for a long time. It's probably more of a belt system design problem that just the idler pully. I would suspect that there are some pully alignment issues.

...Rich

I use the Ford ones...

But I also found that you can take off the pulley, remove the dust seals on the bearing and press grease in there and re install the seal....

The thing works like new... LOL....

Todd Z

I first noticed the pulley on mine wobbling in the fall of 2005, (about 60,ooo mi ago) and it is still on the Trac... Think I should replace it or buy a lottery ticket? :rolleyes:

Just curious, what $$$ do they get for those?

ST... not that much.... $20-40

I wanted to see if I am having the same pulley problem. I have 79k on my 2005 ST and it has been making a noise for a few months and I opened that hood today and the uppermost pulley was wobly. Is this the same issue, if so is it easy to replace?

Thanks

Latest posts