Hyundai truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Would you?

http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/42741/hyundai-introduces-convention-shattering-santa-cruz-crossover-truck-concept-at-detroit-international

Never in a million years. Hyundai has come a long way but their build quality still isn't there. They may look a lot better than they used to but looks are deceiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the looks of the Hyundai truck. Very unique styling.

I am currently leasing a 2013 Hyundai Tuscon SUV and so far it has performed flawlessly.

Some may criticize Hyundai quality, but I find there is not lack of quality for the price and is equal to or even beats out a lot of vehicles that cost significantly more.

Also, Hyundai offers a 10 year 100K mile drive train warranty, which most other vehicles don't. That means they are willing to stand behind their vehicles. That along with unique styling, great gas mileage and low pricing makes Hyundai a very good value.

I probably won't keep the Hyundai after the lease ends in May 2016, but would definitely look at leasing another Hyundai...maybe their new truck if it's available then.

...Rich

I don't care for the lower door/rocker panel, or the rear bumper area, but otherwise it's not bad. But it needs a performance V8, not a 2 liter turbo. Then again, most vehicles need a performance V8.

I had to look at it again just to be sure I didn't miss something or that it hadn't grown on me. Nope. A restyled Subaru Brat is still ugly.

My sister has a Sonata and hasn't had any complaints. The styling, especially interior, is nicer than you'd find in any similarly priced vehicle.

Richard,

The drive train warranty is a joke and I have come to find out that they are VERY selective about what they actually cover. If a mfg can't make an engine and a trans nowadays that can't make it 100k they have no business making cars. What I am starting to see a lot though is that the suspension and steering components on these vehicles are starting to fall apart around the 60k mark as well as a ton of interior problems. If you are going to buy a Hyundai new and only keep it for a few years and get rid of it then it may be all right but if you plan to keep it for 100,000 miles be prepared to spend some money to keep it in shape.

l1tech,

You may be right about the drive train warranty, but I have not had any problems and I will never see the full value of the 10 year, 100k mile warranty. I have a 3 year lease for 36K miles that ends in May 2016.

I agree that any car manufacturer today can make a drive train that last 100K and they probably do, so why don't they stand behind their products and offer a 10 year 100K warranty? That would certainly cut into Hyundai's growing market share.

I have about 19K miles on it and I only have about 15 months remaining on the lease but have not encountered any suspension or adverse tire wear problems.

If I have any complaint about my Hyundai Tuscon was the poor illumination by the headlights. Even my Sport Trac had that problem and I am not alone on that. Even with the high beams on, it was like driving in a coal mine at midnight with only parking lights. I replaced the headlight bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's and that made all the difference in the world. High beams and Low beams really light up the road now.

I only "Leased" the Hyundai because I was not sure of the quality improvements. In my opinion, they have made a lot of improvements since my daughter bought her Hyundai Excel way back in the mid 1990's...now that was a piece of junk that was maybe only one notch above a Yugo. :bwahaha: I only Leased my first 2001 Sport Trac because I was not sure if I would like it, or how reliable it was.

In about 15 months I will need to make a decision about leasing anther Hyundai, or even if I need another vehicle. I only leased the Hyundai Tuscon because my daughter needed a reliable vehicle so I gave her my Toyota Highlander, but I still needed a small SUV for hauling things that would not fit in my Mercedes.

...Rich

l1tech,

Don't underestimate Hyundai Motors. Just like some of the other imports who came to the US Market with crap and now have great reputations of reliability. I remember when the 1st damned ugly Suburu's had that piece of crap Wankel engine and the early Mazda's were also laughable. Hyundai/KIA are the ones to watch now with their introduction of the Genesis, Equus and K900 higher end luxury sedans.

My family has been Ford loyal until I broke tradition and bought a new Chevy Blazer S-10 in 1990 and paid dearly because it turned out to be absolute garbage so I traded it in after 2 years. I went to a Ranger Supercab that I drove for 10 reliable years and then retired it for my '01 Trac which I bought used with 20,000 miles.The Trac treated me great until I needed a new tranny at 95,000 and then a motor at 146,000. Those are not really any kind of high mileage #'s to brag about and I DO take care of my vehicles as I'm a bit anal.

Last June, I decided it was time for my daughter to have her own car which I thought would be the Fusion since I wanted her in a safer sized car than some of these little economy deathtraps kids are driving around in. We had 6K to put down but would have to go for a 72 mo. loan to keep our payments low. After test driving the Fusion, I decided for sh!ts and giggles to look at the Hyundai Sonata that's so well advertised and a very popular selling car. We test drove the feature rich package and I was impressed. When the Sales Snake told me it had 5 yr/60K Bumper-to- Bumper and 10 yr/100K Warranties I was really shocked. My question was why didn't Ford offer that. I could have at least gotten a free tranny on my Trac like that.

We then opened our eyes some more and checked out more of the comparable imports within the same price range. I actually stopped at a KIA Dealer thinking why would I ever even think to consider one of their tin cans. I then found out that this was Hyundai's Sister company. We looked at the Optima and learned that the outstanding contemporary styling was actually designed by Peter Schreyer back in 2011 who had been wisked away from Audi. He quickly became President of Design for HYUNDAI/KIA. The value to optional luxury package offerings were amazing and the fact that it was a no-brainer to have a warranty protection that would run pretty much parallel to our car loan time frame. If we went with the Fusion, we would have been teetering on tightrope for 3 years with a vehicle having no bumper-to-bumper protection and just squeaking out drivetrain protection.

Now being the skeptic that I am and Ford loyalist, I didn't want to make a rash decision so I actually stopped and talked to about 15 Kia Optima owners of 1-3 year old models and every one of them said they had very small to no problems whatsoever. They ALL said they loved their cars and would buy one again without a flinch. It was at this point that the Kia Optima drew me away from the Fusion. We got the high end package model with the 2.0 Turbo. I had a difficult time discovering how many small to large option features it actually came with. The car has extraordinary power and looks that kill compared to the Fusion. Hyundai/Kia will be a force to be reckoned with and is setting the bar with hiring top designers as well as stepping up to the plate to deliver quality.

I feel that as long as one maintains documentation of proper service maintenance, no Dealer can refuse to honor a warranty per the Magnuson Moss Act. I believe your statement about Hyundai being difficult when it comes to honoring a vehicle warranty is because their cars can be abused by many, especially the mods performed by the younger crowd as soon as it leaves a showroom. I would question coverage also if someone beats the crap out of the car or doesn't maintain it.

No, I would not buy this Hyundai SUT version unless it was slightly larger with bed and wheelbase. I bet this concept model would be a bit rough on the road. I wouldn't put it past them if they get it to grow some to capture us Trac guys in the future!

I like the looks as far as a niche style sports truck like the Chevy SSR. Is it just me or did they steal the Corvette taillights? I could see a lot of younger (teens-20's) people as well as older (50+) people buying this. It's not made for functionality as much as style and looks.

toptobottomMember Profile ,2/7/2015 19:53 ET

l1tech,

Don't underestimate Hyundai Motors. Just like some of the other imports who came to the US Market with crap and now have great reputations of reliability. I remember when the 1st damned ugly Suburu's had that piece of crap Wankel engine and the early Mazda's were also laughable. Hyundai/KIA are the ones to watch now with their introduction of the Genesis, Equus and K900 higher end luxury sedans.

Here's the thing. When Honda, Toyota, Mazda and even Subaru came to the U.S they all had very different designs and systems that were theirs. Hyundai has a reputation for copying or borrowing everything from all the other mfgs (that's what the Chinese and Korean car mfgs do) but when they copy or borrow it they also seem to loose the quality of what it is they borrowed. You can't stay competitive with borrowed tech. Even their designs take a little from all mfgs. I do admit though that they are getting better but I think it's going to take another 10 years before they finally start to get their own actual identity. This is of course just my opinion.

I think if you looked at every new model, they have styling elements that might appear to be copied from another brand. Personally, I think that some of new cars like the new Ford Taurus look very similar in overall appearance to the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. In fact many of the new vehicles in the same class all seem to look alike as far as size, shape, and basic styling. Yes, the headlights or taillights might be different, but at a distance, it's very difficult to distinguish different brands and models. However, Hyundai styling can easily be spotted from a distance....whether you like the styling or not is a different subject.

Also, Hyundai now owns Kia and that is why the quality of Kia has improved so much, so fast.

Toptobottom,

I don't think that Subaru even had the Wankel engine. You may be thinking about their flat four cylinder (boxer engine) which is very similar to the old VW Beetle and the Porsche engines. The original Wankel design was owned by a German car maker called NSU. NSU the first to use the Rotary engine in a production car. They only made a few cars with the Wankel engine and they did not sell well. The biggest problem was excessive rotor seal wear (like the piston rings in a conventional piston engine). NSU then sold their rights to the Wankel to Mazda and I am not aware of anyone else except Mazda making vehicles with Wankel Rotory engines. And I never heard of a Wankel powered Subaru?

...Rich

@l1tech

Ford needs to watch their backs because they lost me as a customer. If they're so confident with their quality then they should also up their warranty. It's a nice perk for a Buyer in case something should fail. With the cost of vehicles and expensive repair bills it means a lot to the average Joe.

Never underestimate the Koreans. They are very shrewd business focused individuals. As Richard L mentions there are coincidentally similar designs and auto industry spying is done by them all I'm sure! I don't believe that Hyundai/Kia will have to do a lot of spying to copy design and probably the other way around while Peter Schreyer is at their design helm.

@Richard L

Thanks for clarification! I thought that was a Wankel. My memory is foggy and especially when it's going back to the early 70's.

My Father came home one night and said he checked out the Subaru's to buy for me. I hadn't ever seen one and when I visited a Dealer, I got this bout of nausea and remember the brochure showing a crazy engine design. I said no thanks and we settled on a Datsun 260Z. I was one lucky 16 year old. :driving:

Talk about downright ugly (Subaru) and now look where they are today

[Broken External Image]:

Warranty, that is Hyundais biggest selling point. Now is that because they have nothing else to offer or is it because they want to make the consumer perceive the brand is more than it is. Warranties are a double edge sword if you ask me. Not long enough and people won't take a chance because they think you are selling garbage but if it goes too long the mfg ends up eating a lot of costs. I'm of the mind set in that if you buy a machine then you better be prepared to fix the machine if AND when it breaks. It's foolish for the American public to think that a machine is going to last them forever without any input on their behalf. What's even more foolish is to think that when it does break that someone else should have to pay for it. Hyundais 10 year warranty covers the engine and trans internal components ONLY. Truth be told these types of problems are RARE in the 1st 100k miles. I guess if the engine blows up or the trans takes a dump you are ok because it is covered but more often than not this type of failure is due to abuse or driver stupidity and the warranty does not cover that..rightfully so. The warranty does not cover anything electronic on the engine or the trans or anything else that is bolted to the engine or the trans like water pumps, alternators and so forth. So if you exclude all of the items that you are likely to have problems with and warranty the items that are unlikely to fail under normal circumstances who wins? It's not the consumer. Oh and by the way, the warranty is not transferable . Realistically if you really start digging into Hyundais warranty you find that it isn't really better than any other mfgs.

Styling similarities between mfgs is going to happen to keep pace with what the public wants I get that, but when you take the Bentley emblem and blatantly slap it on one of your cars that just makes you a Johnny come lately wanna be. Styling and gadgets do not make a quality vehicle, the mechanics of it do, This is where Hyundai really needs to start becoming their own company. I believe that they are "starting" but they have a way to go before proving themselves.

I don't mean to offend any Hyundai owners it's just the topic. I could go on about any of them.

l1tech,

What you are saying is true, but it also applies to all new car warranties. Nearly every car maker provides a minimum 3 year, 36K mile, bumper to bumper warranty with the exception of normal wear items like brakes, clutches, etc...just as Hyundai does.

They are also required by Federal law to cover the emission systems for 8 years as does Hyundai. But they all limit the warranty to cover certain parts that they choose. Oddly enough, most do not cover the ECU computer that controls all of those emission control sensors???

The only real difference is that Hyundai will cover certain major components of the drive train for up to 10 years or 100K miles. Again, this only covers certain major components of the drive train that they choose. You are correct that the odds of these major drive train components breaking are rare, so Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, etc should be able to do the same thing but they choose not to, and that opens the door for Hyundai to step up and grab a bit more market share.

In reality, all warranties by all auto makers are filled with carefully worded escape clauses and exceptions to reduce their liability and expense on the auto maker in the event of a failure.

Unfortunately, many people fail to read the details of their warranty and just assume the hype that a 3 year/36K, 5 year/50K, or 10 year/100k warranty covers everything under all conditions, which is so not true.

Most auto critics, reviewers, and auto experts will say that Hyundai quality is on par with the rest of their competitors in any of the classes where they compete. They are also quick to state that Hyundai has the best warranty in the business. Reviews by owners of late model Hyundais indicate that most owers are very pleased with their purchase.

If you look at most vehicles in the same class, they are all pretty much the same. Hyundai may have made cars to compete against certain vehicles and in doing so copied some styling so that it had some resemblance to the other vehicle. I think that made people do a double take just to verify what brand it was?.

I am not alone in feeling that Hyundai has made major steps in making their styling unique so that there is little doubt that the vehicle is a Hyundai. Most critics and reviewers also mention the appeal of Hyundai's styling. Hyundai quality has improved to the point that it no longer has to rely on copy-cat styling to get attention, since the produce vehicles with similar quality at a much lower price.

If you were to remove the emblems off of all the vehicles and nobody knew or had ever seen these vehicles, and let people choose which one they liked simply based on styling, I think Hyundai would be the popular choice.

...Richard

Latest posts