How should I go bout getting a motor running again?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince Coshenet

Reaction score
I just picked up a car that has been sitting in inside storage for at least 15 years. Aside from fresh gas and an oil change, what else should I check or do before turning the key?

Oh, yeah, don't laugh (too hard) it's an 82 Subaru Brat. :grin:

Agree with pulling spark plugs. I'd also recommend changing coolant, driveline fluids, brake fluid, and probably all hoses and belts. Check everything before driving it. Good luck.

If they didnt use fuel stabilizer before storing it, you are gauranteed to have gum in the injectors or carb in the future. be prepared for stalling in the future. It cant evaporate into the air very easily so it turns into sticky goo without stabilizer. Good luck. :fire:

Change oil

Drop and be sure the gas tank is clea before adding freshi gas

remove plugs and squirt in about a tablespoon full of oil in each cylinder...check plugs and gaps and reinstall plugs

Be sure the battery is fully charged.

I would not worry about the coolant until the engine can be started...old coolant will not prevent the engine from starting. Once the engine is running you can worry about drive-ability issues like transmission fluid, tire pressures, brake fluid, power steering fluid, Brake pedal height, etc.

...Rich

sitting in inside storage for at least 15 years

Pull the plugs and pour a couple of ounces, of. Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder. Let it sit for a day. Roll the motor by hand several revolutions. Then put the plugs back in.

Siphon the old fuel out. Even if they used a stabilizer. It is only good for 6 to 8 months. Use some type of fuel conditioner with fresh fuel. Especialy if it is fuel injected.

FYI, If it is carburated and has a mechanical fuel pump. The fuel pump diaphram is most likely shot. dried up and will crack. Have some starter fluid on hand, also.

Do complete fluid changes either before or after, running. Tires will not be road worthy after that many years either.

You might want to check the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion. If it is DIS, check the plug wire coil connections. If the plug wires are not slicone jacketed. There may be spark leakage. Back then you could still buy cheap wires that werent. I will show up by miss firing

Latest posts