Hoping Santa will bring money for locking differential!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Been saving up for a while, birthday money, etc. Hope Santa finishes the job and I can get a locking differential for the sport trac. I had a Powertrax in the '93 ranger for years and I loved it. Had to replace the springs in it after about two years when it was acting up a bit.

When I got the sport trac, I got the open differential specifically so I could put in a locking unit. So far I've had the truck for 6 years and haven't done so yet. Finally the day may be close! I am considering the aussie locker or another Powertrax noslip. I remember reading a post on one of the 4x4 boards by someone at Aussie that talked about how the Aussie is designed better than the Powertrax, but can't find it anywhere. I think it was on pirate or a jeep forum. Anybody know the thread? I used to have it bookmarked on the old computer. Grrrr.

Think Snow!

--Bob

owner

www.snowblowerskids.com

The strongest snowblower skids on the planet. Designed to lift your snowblower smoothly up and over cracked and uneven sidewalks and gravel.

I went with the power-trax unit. Reason, their tech department said it was street-able. It would properly unlock while sreet driving, turning corners.

The Aussie tech department did not recomend there unit on the street. Even though the details about the assuie. Say's it is street able.

Well what I found out was. I should have saved some $$ and went with aussie. The power-trax only unlocks if you are coasting, while turning left or right. I called the tech dept at power-trax. He confirmed is will stay locked. If you are accelerating while turning. So what happens is When I make a right hand turn from a stop sign. The right rear tire is skipping. It wont unlock cause you have to accelerate from a full stop...I feel that richmond gear should explain this in the spec details.

Since the assuie works the same as the power-trax. At half the price. I would buy the aussie if I was to choose a mechanical locker again.

I was buying what I could set up myself. And not disturb the ring and pinion settings. I dont do ring and pinion set ups. I let the experts do the lash and the proper shiming of the carrier.

For the price of the power-trax. I wish I had bought the ford racing traction-lok carrier with the carbon fiber cluthes. It would have only cost $200 more for the labor and the ford unit. VS the cost of the power-trax, with me doing the labor.

The ford unit would be best for the street. It is a very strong carrier. No more HP and TQ our 4.0L motors make. The carbon fiber clutch pack in the ford unit would last forever.

But if you want to save $$ with a a unit you can install. Get the aussie, $285 back then. Almost $500 for the power-trax. Im disapointed in my decsion. They dont tell you about niether one unlocks under the smallest amount of power when turning. Only when coasting into a turn.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan lockers are getting great reviews by guys putting them in the their Explorers. I'm considering them as well.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Locker-spline-heavy-duty-cross/dp/B0078UBA40/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=MO2NJ12NJUEK&coliid=I166QLOMTU3H1X">Spartan</a>

Here's the Aussie sold under the name Lokka.

<a href="http://lokka.com/site/">Lokka</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what a Spartan Locker looks like after 15,000 miles in my 2001 Sport Trac RWD. Over a third of those miles were towing a 5,000 lb boat. Zero wear and no metal in the gear oil when removed.

Highly recommended, this is going into the 2007 I am in the process of refurbishing.

Spartan Locker Ford 8-8 15K Miles-1.jpg
Spartan Locker Ford 8-8 15K Miles-2.jpg

You cannot install a Spartan Locker in an 8.8 IRS without modification to the side couplers.

Spartan Locker Ford 8-8 IRS Pin Interference1.jpg
Spartan Locker Ford 8-8 IRS Pin Interference2.jpg

You have to cut 0.100" deep/1.430" diameter pocket in each side coupler ID for the axle shaft circlip to engage before the axle ends hit the cross pin.

I believe they make a notched center pin for this reason and application...... This is also why I'm just installing a motorsport LSD and being done with it... :)

I had correspondence with Gus at Randy's Worldwide, he suggested the relief pocket on the side couplers. He did not mention a notched center pin was available.

Mine side couplers are at the machine shop now getting worked on.

Ok good luck... I would have sold it and just installed a LSD.....