help!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Grimes01

Reaction score
changed intake gaskets.no codes for 100 miles. cut the engine off, 10 min. later cranked up less than 10 miles cel came on -p0171-p0174. checked everything. i did notice than about the same time my heater started blowing cold. heater valve? vaccum canister? :smile0003::smile0001:

The elbow and the gas cap are the main reasons I've had that come up. The gas cap is always the reasons since I've replaced the pcv elbow. Take the gas cap off and move the rubber o-ring towards the end of the shaft and put it back on. Or replace the cap all together.

What was the reason for changing the intake gasket?

Did you have those codes before you changed it? Those codes indicate a lean condition. You can spray carb cleaner to find an air leak. It will cause the engine to stumble. Check the intake tube to make sure it is connected good and check all vacuum hoses for cracks. Check the mainfold bolts to make sure they are snug. Start in the middle and work to the outside in a crisscross pattern. Hope this helps:smile0006:

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditionally, those codes are associated with the PVC Elbow that cracks and allows to much air into the system, thus triggering the O2 sensors to say, "Mixture to lean" and trip the code / light.

So, if you have not already done so, you need to look at the elbow in the picture below.

On Job I Trac's, there is no elbow and it was common for the intake gasket to fail...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

done so far-

replaced gas cap

replaced intake gaskets

replaced vaccum elbow and line

cleaned map

cleaned iac

cleaned throttle body.

comp.diag. showed everything was ok

changed wires and plugs.

only thing i have'nt changed is the TRUCK!

HELP!!!!:smile0003:

Greg, did you inpect the upper plenum for cracks or splits in the glued portions?

I have seen it happen on other fords. You might hve to find a small bright light. You run it into the runners in the dark. It is a pain. Had a few freinds find thiers that way.

Latest posts