Help...Tonneau cover won't latch. Attn: Rich L.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Shirley

Reaction score
For some reason, my OEM tonneau cover will not latch anymore. The clamps on each side that are supposed to clamp around the little bars do not lock; the cover lifts up without having to use the key. Obviously something has broken. Has anyone else had this problem? Can I fix it, and where do I start? I saw an EZloc system at one time, but I have been unable to find it again. If I find this product, would it fix my problem? Rich, let me know if you have anything that would fix it so I can order it when I order the Lever Lift in a couple of weeks. Thanks all,

Adam

The only trouble I have had with the factory cover is it can be hard to shut. The gasket that keeps the water out has to be compressed enough for the latches to catch. I usually end up slamming it.

Most likely the cable or latch needs lubricated. Also check the engagement dogs and lubricate them as well. The dogs are the parts that actually hold the lid closed.They look similar to a door latch. Crud could be jamming them up so they don't slide out. Or they could be broken..

Good luck Raserx:)

Also, make sure it's lined up right. I have lifted both sides up before at the same time and it wouldn't go back down right. I had to play with it for a while. Just a thought.

It is definitely the engagement dogs. They move freely, but don't lock. After the Auburn / Alabama game I'll check it again and see if I can take the lach mechanism off and see if a spring or cable has broken. I hope I don't have to replace the whole thing it; I'm sure it's not cheap.

Adam S.

I've had this problem before...it always happened after I had my cover off for a few days and the latch mechanisms were exposed to the elements. Most likely the little lever that the release wire attaches to is stuck. Open your cover, follow the release wire and you'll find the little lever it hooks into. See if you can get some WD-40 in there and work it back and forth. This should loosen it up and get it back to working order. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your latches are not already in the locked position before you close your cover. To do this, just use your key to unlock the latches. If they were locked you will hear them click open.

If one of your cables is binding, it will keep tension on the latch release and they will not lock. That could be a lubrication problem, but it could aslo mean that the tip of the plastic cable pull hook has broken and is jammed in the cable track causeing the binding.

The easiest way to test you cables and latches is to hold the cover open and manually flip the latch hooks to the locked position and use your key to release them. If they will not lock and hold, you have a problem with the cable or cable pull hook. If they lock but will not release, you probably have a broken cable release hook. If your latches lock manually and release OK with the key, then you problem is likely with the latches no aligning with the striker pins.

...Rich

Rich and Andy,

Thanks a million. It was a lubrication issue. I had to use about a half can of WD40 to get it to free up, but when it did, it worked like it was new. Thanks again, you guys saved me a bunch of trouble.

Adam S.

Latest posts