Has anyone else gone 40,000 miles on the original pads?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Just seems to good to be true. Usually I replacing pads every 25K on all my other cars and trucks. Just curious.

Big Al

I had 77000 before I changed mine... Did the rotors at the same time, since they had a lip on them. But I do have a 5-speed so I don't typically hit the brakes until I'm down to 35-40 MPH...

On every vehicle except my first Trac I never got less than 65,000 miles. I had a serious brake issue where I ended up suing Ford over. We settled out of court.

They installed experimental brakes on my Trac and those went for 70,000 miles which is when I traded it in.

I had over 55k on mine. Every other car I have had was 2 fronts to every 1 rear brakes. I just could not believe they lasted that long.

My oem pads were shot at 30k. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. Glad to get rid of them though because they were never that good. The new akebono ceramics I installed stop the truck a hundred times better.

My pads have about 35K and will be changed this week. They would have gotten significantly more mileage, but we literally live on a mountain in PA, and the change in altitude from base to top is about 1200 feet. So, each day down, even in low gear, the brakes would be used heavily.

My OEM ones got to 75,000. Other than the constantly black wheels from all the brake dust, they never gave me any problems. The non-OEM replacements have the same brake dust issue.

Too quick for me to tell with the Trac, but my 2000 Explorer had 100,000 on the original pads when I traded it for the Trac...if I had kept it any longer, I would have changed them but the brakes were still working good.

Thats insane some of the millage you guys got out of the original pads. I drive a lot of stop and go too.

Wow, I'm getting the short end of the stick here.

Had to replace pads, rotors and calipers at around 20K because the caliper piston was sticking. Had to do the pads again at about 30K, when a different shop found that the NEW caliper pistons were sticking as well (managed to get them sliding again, though). Now, I'm at almost 39K and I'm having issues again. (Squeaking, excessive brake dust and locking up when I'm not braking nearly hard enough to cause it.)

The brakes are the only complaint I've had with my 2001 Trac, but I'm getting very, very tired of this.

I know it's not an ST, but I just turned over 97K on my 1500 work van and I'm still on factory brakes. And I got 88K on the original tires.