Greetings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artie

Reaction score
New to the forum and wanting to say hello from NC. I am a current 2009 Ranger 4.0 owner and am in search of a late model, lower mileage Sport Trac. I have been studying the forum for two days, trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can about the ST and will eventually purchase a 2008-2010 model.
I am undecided on engine choice, I am quite familiar with the 4.0 having owned two, but have little knowledge of the 4.6 24 valve. I do know I want 4wd or awd but don't know which one yet.. Impressed with the Adrenalin pkg from what I see.

Anywho, just tipping my hat, saying hello, and letting folks know I will have some near future question on choices available. Thanks, Artie

Welcome from Tennessee! I very much prefer the V8 (I've had both). If you go with V8, get 2009 or 2010, because the spark plugs changed and aren't 2-piece like 2007 and some 2008.

Adrenalin looks good, but it's mostly cosmetic...the powertrains are the same as the Limited and XLT. AWD is only on Adrenalin and appears to just be programming compared to the low/high 4WD on Limited or XLT. I think the Adrenalin wheels looks awesome powder coated black. It's pretty difficult to find an Adrenalin that didn't start its life in Canada or the U.S. Northeast or upper midwest with road salt and rust.

You can find original brochures here for comparison and to see what option packagess were available. http://www.auto-brochures.com/ford.html

Just the information I'm looking for Duncan, thank you. I'm 65 and looking for a final purchase for a second vehicle.
I would prefer hi/lo 4wd over awd, thinking it more useful for my needs, like getting my zero turn out of the spring mud... snow isn't much of an issue when you're retired.
I don't like the timing chain issues of the 4.0 for sure. I know about the difficult spark plug locations of the 4.6 and possible exhaust stud issues. So a 09-10 well maintained 4.6 would be a better long term choice? How about the six speed it bolts to?

That’s my take. Everything I’ve read suggests the 4.6L V8 and associated 6R80 I 6-speed are more reliable. That’s seems to be the consensus over at ExplorerForums too.

Not to say you can’t get a long life out of a well-maintained 4.0L SOHC, but even well maintained the timing chains can be a problem. And that requires pulling the engine to get to the rear chain.

I don’t think the Adrenalins like mud. They’re street trucks.

I agree the the Adrenalin is packaged for asthetics and not so much utility. Did Ford sort out the shift issue in the 09-10 6R80?
Also, is there a problem with the 4wd models and weak front wheel bearings? Appears a lot of folks have replaced theirs, some, more than once. I understand the entire hub is replaced, not just the bearing..

Hello and welcome... good luck in your search.

Latest posts