Good article on syn or regular oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good article Eddie. I have heard many stories about the synthetics, I still use Mobile 1 and change a couple times a year no matter what the mileage. Much of my driving is less than a mile one way.

TKS for the article Ed

rmac,

I caught that myself. Alot of the info, my uncle that was in R&D lube chevron/texaco, had already told me. He retired just before RP came on the market. He told me then that, the best syn they had ever tested then was red line. The best for personal diesel's was rottella. Also that all lube additives were snake oil.

They spec'ed motors before and after taxi's and police units were put into long term service. Also test motors on stands put thru extreme conditions. He didnt use the companies lubes in his own cars and trucks,,,LOL

There are exceptional circumstances. One that my mechanic mentioned, is that for a classic or antique vehicle, you might be better off just using conventional oil, since you probably change it every year but accumulate very little mileage. No cold start concerns, no mpg concerns etc... Makes better sense economically.

Older vehicles lack PVC and generally tend to dirty the oil faster so it's good to change the oil at or around 3000 miles just to get the contaminants out.

But if your changing synthetic at 3000 mi intervals then, IMHO, you are throwing money down the drain.

So.. my Sport Trac (daily driver ~8k a year) gets a Mobil 1 high mileage oil change every Fall and my Healey gets a serving of dino oil every Spring.

...which reminds me.

I run Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters in all of my vehicles, and have done so for years. I try to change the oil/filter in my daily drivers (my '10 Sport Trac and wife's '11 Explorer) at between 7-10K miles. I'm now running the "high mileage" version of Mobil 1 in these two vehicles.

I also own an '08 Mustang that's mainly a summer/show car and I just changed the oil/filter in it last weekend. It only has a little over 33K on the odometer. It had been about two years and a little under 5000 miles since the last oil change in it. With this oil change, I switched from regular Mobil 1 to the "extended performance" version. I thought that might be better to run that oil since it's not changed very often. Plus, it was about $4 cheaper for a five quart jug than the regular version of Mobil 1.

I also have an '08 RV on an E450 Super Duty chassis with the V10 with a little over 21,000 miles on it. I changed the oil/filter on it a few weeks ago. Like the Mustang, it had been about two years and a little under 5000 miles since the last oil change in it; and I also switched it from regular Mobil 1 to the "extended performance" version.