Glasspacks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local muffler shop is having a special, dual exhaust, glass packs, with y-pipe any way you want them, for $225. Do you think this is a good deal, and what do the glasspacks sound like, are they loud, i want my trac to be pretty loud.

oh and i'm new here.

and if anyone else has dual exhaust on there tracs, can you please post pics. I'm trying to get an idea which way I want the pipes to come out, either dual coming out the backs, or both on one side. not sure yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want loud? No mufflers, with a off road y-pipe coming straight out the side with virtually no bends in the pipes. :) That's what I have, and if you've never ridden with me before, you usually get a headache for the first 20min. I especially love when people ask how I got a v8 option, and I love seeing the looks on their faces when I tell them it's a 6.

Oh, and $225 is about the average cost for an exhaust system, but does it include tips? resonators? stainless or aluminized?

I'd double check that y-pipe deal. First, it is illegal for any exhaust shop to remove your pre-cats (which are part of the y-pipe) if they aren't faulty. Or if it's less than 50K miles. If you meet those requirements, then I have to say that there is no way they are going to give you a y-pipe and a dual out exhaust including mufflers (even if they are glass packs). For $225 they I think you're only getting a custom cat-back set-up. There's no way the y-pipe can be included in that price. But $225 is reasonable for a dual out set-up. Check <a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?TYPE=Exhaust%20Sounds&PageHeader=Member%20Projects"target=top>here</a> for some sound clips of different exhaust set-ups. Chances are a Flowmaster 40 series is what you want for loud. Aside from Jeff C's set-up (no muffler, which is illegal) an FM40 would be the next best thing and realistically your shop should be able to do an fm40 for the same price you list. Tips may change the price.

Glass packs get rackety as they wear out. Might even make the Trac sound ricey. When I was younger glass pack were all we had. I always hated that rack back sound, when Glass packs were used with a tailpipe.

it's a special deal they are having this week, it's with the stainless steel tips, y-pipe and the glasspacks. for $225.

it's either the glasspacks, or some dynomax turbo II muffler.

Spiff, in Alabama, my setup is not illegal. I have looked at the laws and I talked to the guyst at more than one exhaust shop. Here, we don't have smog testing or inspections, and while it is illegal to remove the cats, it is not illegal to remove the muffler, as long as it's not louder than a certain decible at a certain distance.

One of my friend has Glasspacks on his Ranger and it is pretty loud compared to stock, but I find it more of an annoying loud than a deep loud. Check out that exhaust clip project that Spiff linked for you. It should help you with your decision, but like others have said, Flowmaster 40 series should go well with what you want.

Go for the dynomax turbo over the glass pack. I have used the super turbo on other cars. They sound mellow deep and flow well. If it is the alunimumnized casing and not the SS, it will last about 6 yrs.

No I wouldnt say they are loud. They can be heard, on hard acceleration. I have had the super turbo on chrysler and ford V8's, and one 4cyl. Never ran one on a V6. At cruise the drone in the cab was minimal but coulbe heard.

If you do alot of highway driving, think hard on what exhaust system/tips you want. Around town my ST sounded AWSOME! On the highway, it got annoying. Not to mention that, but also, might just put to you to sleep on a long drive with the loud drone of that exhaust.

Funny Jeff, I seem to recall you telling a story about being pulled over for having the exhaust cut-out open and a cop hearing it. Though you got out of it, you still got caught. Anyhow, I don't want this to turn into the usual debate on legalities. I'm pretty sure that most of us that have seriously modded our exhausts are borderline on being/not being legal as far as the decibel thing. Short of getting out the old meter we're never really gonna know.

Latest posts