Giggity Giggity Garmin 7200

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Here's to Garmin's placement of Louisville, KY.

[Broken External Image]:

In addition to navigation, it is tied to the OEM radio through the AUX input (hit the 'SAT' button), can play MP3s, and with XM, has traffic and weather on the map. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is sweet. I just can't justify the cost of that thing, though, I would love to have one.

Tom

Tom,

I had wanted one for a few years, but always waited for the technology to go down in price. Unfortunately, every time it would, a new model with some other ability would be released. I finally bit the bullet and opened the wallet. Buydig had a heck of a deal (ignore Garmin's MSRP; it is overly inflated, and most e-tailers sell it for sub $1000), and I figured I'd go with the current technology for once.

I also figured that, when time comes to sell it (if I get a vehicle with navigation built-in), it could fetch a decent resale value. I've seen used ones go for more on eBay than I paid for a new one at Buydig.com.

Its worth is much more than the $, though. Pops and I drove over 200 miles today, plugging in destinations and going. The highlight was the visit to Centralia, PA. After folks burned trash in a put 40 years ago, an underground mine fire ignited, and has burned since. The town, once relatively dense, is now 3-5 buildings and paved street grids, but with overgrown lots (the buildings were demolished in a government buyout) and even overgrown pavement. It's very, very eerie, and I could not help but hope the Trac did not trigger a subsidence when driving around.

See the link below for more information.

I have a Garmin GPS-V. Paid about $300.00 for it about a year and a half ago. I love it. Works great!!! I want to upgrade it this year or next, but I just can't justify spending even a grand on a GPS when my GPS-V was cheap but works great. Know what I mean?

Odds are, I might go with a Tomtom, but I will see. I think the highest I would go is about $500.00. Having all the maps preloaded in the GPS would be awesome.

I need to get my honeymoon paid for first before I even think of upgrading anything.

If I would have known that ring would cost me more then the actual price of the ring...ahhh never mind. She is worth it. That is why I am going to marry her.

Tom

I have a Supplier for the TomTom if anyone wants one. I have it in my van and it's great! The price was around $575 plus shipping.

Gary D.

Adam- That looks great! I like the looks. Does it come with a map disc, or is it all pre-loaded? Where's your antenna mounted?

TomTom seems like a neat idea, but the commercials are REALLY ANNOYING!!!

Anyways, I've been looking at a Garmin laptop based GPS nav program with a USB antenna to link into my car computer's center screen. I found one for around $120 at Target. I'm thinking about picking up a unit on my way to Louisville. I've got Rand McNally TripMaker now, but it sucks (the maps aren't detailed enough, out of date, and don't scroll down into city blocks) , and it's not GPS based.

Would the left or right side of the dashboard be a good place to permantly mount a GPS antenna? Or how about the on the leading edge of the bed lid? Are they waterproof?

[Broken External Image]:

Larry,

See: http://www.kachurak.com/7200 for more photos. I envy your flushed screen. However, because I spend so much time in Philadelphia, I needed something I could easily remove from the cradle (see the link for what I mean).

All the maps are pre-loaded, as are some millions of points of interest. To be honest, I am more interested in adding my own custom POIs, as will be done in time. However, yesterday, when in the middle of nowhere, it helped me find a Burger King. :D

There is no antenna yet. I attempted to not use one, but because of the mounting location, I ordinarily only get 1/2 the satellite power (fixed position to about 25-40 feet, instead of 8-15 feet on the dash or with an antenna) as compared to if it was on the dash. I ordered a Garmin antenna and am currently awaiting it. I am not sure of its placement yet, however. My options are:

(a) Behind the mirror at the top center of the windshield, with the wire hidden in the headliner, the A pillar trim, under the dash, and popping out through the center console (this depends on whether the antenna, which has a magnet built-in for roof use, can be removed, or if not, whether it messes with the overhead compass); or

(b) To the upper right portion of the windshield, same idea as (a); or

(c) To the lower right portion of the windshield, if it does not appear 'obvious' as compared to one that is stuffed near the top, and the same idea as [a].

Lasik:

I have a friend who had one installed. They are fantastic units. You will not be disappointed at all. :cool:

Yeah, the ability to remove it from the cradle is a great feature just for peace of mind and security. I worry about mine attracting attention at night, I usually throw a jacket or something over it. I'm actually thinking about pushing the screen down in the hole about a quarter inch and making a cover that's the same size shape and color as the opening to cover the screen. Looks like a good clean install, I like it!

I'm actually thinking about pushing the screen down in the hole about a quarter inch and making a cover that's the same size shape and color as the opening to cover the screen.

That was one of my exact thoughts with regards to an in-dash touch screen! I considered having small magnets installed in the four corners of the opening, adjacent to the corners of the touch screen. I would then purchase an el cheapo Ford head unit and disassemble it, leaving only the face itself. Using the opposite poles of four more magnets, I would slap it over the touch screen when I park, etc.

I think the false face is a fantastic idea.

I've been to Centralia before its a neat place. I've bumped into some people while I was visiting and we pretty much walked everywhere, looked at the whited trees, the smoke stacks in the middle of nowhere and walked on the closed section of 61.

I have a Garmin iQue M3 PDA with built in GPS. I only paid about $389.00 for mine total. It's got all the bells and whistles that I needed and the GPS functionality are right on point. I bought it when I went home on mid-tour...came with the window mount bracket/charging dock. Plugged in may destinations and arrived to each one of them right on the dot. Even has a nice re-routing feature that engages if I go "off course" and re-routes the entire map to get me to my original destination based off of my new course!

Plus it plays videos, mp3's, internet conenctivity etc...

I love it.

Latest posts