Gibson Exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal P

Reaction score
Hi,

Jst thought I would share my experience with a Gibson Exhaust I recently purchased. The muffler on my Sporty had holes in it and my Resonator broke off so I was looking to replace my exhaust system from the Cat back. Now, buying aftermarket stock parts would have been cheaper, however I always felt my Sporty was a little sluggish. It has 175,000 miles on it, but overall it is not in that bad of shape. So I settled on the Gibson Swept Side exhaust, which I have seem instructions on this site. I must say I have been really impressed with the gains I have noticed using this set up. I originally wanted to replace my catalytic converter with the parts from Zabtek, but they were too pricey for my poor man budget. I also considered knocking the honeycomb out of the Cat to basically do the same thing, but I decided to just install the Cat back exhaust and see if there was an improvement from the start. Not 2 days after installing I had to take the Sporty on a trip to Jersey, the same trip I took a week before, and I must telly you that I gained almost 5 more MPG....and I was driving like a maniac to get home sometimes hitting speeds of up to 85mph.

To sum it up...I am very pleased with the Gibson exhaust.

Neal

You would be the first person in hhistory to gain 5 mpg going 85 with only an exhsust change.

But if you like it, thats all that matters.

You would be the first person in history to gain 5 mpg going 85 with only an exhsust change.

Ditto! I have magna-flow cat back and the RT-Ypipe. I ran 85mph, houston to san antonio round trip. I only got 18.5mpg. Trac stayed parked in san-antonio. Aproxamitly 20 miles was not highway. I might have got 20mpg. If I had kept rpm's below 2500.

Before the exhaust I was only getting 17mpg highway. How do you figure your mpg?

+3 BS. You can get better mileage gains by increasing tire pressure. I don't believe anything approaching a 5 MPG gain, even if it's all highway miles.

Exhaust companies always claim HP and mileage gains, but will never provide actual numbers. Wouldn't Ford be using them with a quieter muffler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen...I'm not trying to BS anybody here. I didn't do 85 the whole trip...just in spots...but I wasn't gentle either.

Normally when I drive and am doing about 75 my rpms are at 3000. This trip it hovered a little above 2500.

How you figure gas mileage is simple. You fill your tank before the trip and reset your trip odometer. You then go on your trip. When you get back you fill your tank up again. You then divide your trip mileage by the amount of gallons of gas you needed to fill up.

I'm not trying to BS anybody...this is what happened.

Ok. One fill-up will never show anything related to MPG. Its just not a reliable method. Drive 10 tank-fulls and check it. Evens it all out.

Simple statistics...

Dont get me wrong. I dont mean to sound as if Im a badger.

If you are getting 5 more mpg. Im happy for you.

I think the only other members getting that close. Their right foot only weighed 1oz...:bwahaha:. Kept rpms below 2500, including take off.

My right foot weighs' 20#s :banana:. Some of those members were also stock...

Keep Trac'ing...:driving::supercool:

I think the only other members getting that close. Their right foot only weighed 1oz.... Kept rpms below 2500, including take off.

That's ME! I'm 3:73 RWD, stock size street tires, bare minimum weight with AC off, and have never seen better than 20.3 highway MPG. Eddie, how did you weigh your right foot? :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
My '08 is rated at 19 mpg highway. I put a Gibson on when it was only 3 months old. If the road is fairly level and I keep it under 70 mph I will get 21 to 22 mpg. It also makes a V6 sound as good as it ever will.

My '08 is rated at 19 mpg highway. I put a Gibson on when it was only 3 months old. If the road is fairly level and I keep it under 70 mph I will get 21 to 22 mpg. It also makes a V6 sound as good as it ever will

I just took the same trip again last night and will do another check once I get home from work. The raod from my House to Jersey is relatively rolling to flat. Starts out rolling then gets flat once I hit I80. ...or as flat as you can get in Northeast PA. I will post those results.

Before calling BS just remember that not all gas station pumps and handles are created equal and that there are some variables that can be over looked that would affect a vehicles mileage. I would suspect that in the long run that 5mpg increase will drop slightly and be more "believable" for some people.

raym267 said:
Before calling BS just remember that not all gas station pumps and handles are created equal and that there are some variables that can be over looked that would affect a vehicles mileage. I would suspect that in the long run that 5mpg increase will drop slightly and be more "believable" for some people.

Like I said, I picked up 2 to 3 mpg on the highway. City mpg is no different than before. I think that's realistic. Now you CAN to to Explorerforum.com and find Aldive's thread (R.I.P.) called the "Quest For 30" (mpg) where he actually managed to coax 30 mpg out of an Explorer at decent highway speed but know that he spent far more time and money getting there than he saved in gas. He readily admits it, but he just took it as a personal challenge to see if it could be done.

Geezz, another inflated MPG claim when all they have done is a short trip test with very imprecise measurements. Sure, I can get 150 MPG on my 2013 Hyundai Tucsan with my UltaGauge, but that's only for a few seconds or a few hundred feet. The shorter the distance or the fewer the values included in the Average, the larger the error will be.

Drive the vehicle for 5000 miles and keep track of your miles to a tenth of a mile, and fuel used to a tenth of a gallon and you will then have more accurate and real world Average MPG.

...Rich

Geezz, another inflated MPG claim when all they have done is a short trip test with very imprecise measurements. Sure, I can get 150 MPG on my 2013 Hyundai Tucsan with my UltaGauge, but that's only for a few seconds or a few hundred feet. The shorter the distance or the fewer the values included in the Average, the larger the error will be.

Drive the vehicle for 5000 miles and keep track of your miles to a tenth of a mile, and fuel used to a tenth of a gallon and you will then have more accurate and real world Average MPG.

...Rich

Latest posts