Getting dissed at Ford dealer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary DiPietroSr

Reaction score
I asked a dealer to give me a price on a new E250 van. The salesman that we bought 2 cars from already was fine trying to sell me an 07 leftover. As soon as I told him I might be able to get an X-Plan, he didn't even call me back. He sure is dragging his feet getting the numbers. He said twice, that's a deal between you and Ford. So, the dealer gets no credit for the sale? Does the salesman make a commission? Seems like I'm bothering him. Is this the norm when using X-plan?

Gary D.

Sounds like a low life car salesman. I hope you dont think they honestly give a turd about how many cars you buy from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary,

I worked at a Ford dealership and they do make money from Ford on each vehicle sold. At our dealership the saleman got a flat $75 for an X-Plan sale. I think the dealership gets a flat $250 from Ford.

Unless there has been major changes in how salesmen are credited with sales, every vehicle sold counts towards their montly quotas and sales bonuses. If ew sold 10 vehicles we got an aditional $1000 in addition to the commissions based on the actual profit made on the vehicles sold. 12 vehicles got you another $500 bonus, etc. Our top salesman could easily sell 15-20 vehicles per month.

Saturday's whe had special incentives for the guy who sold the first vehicle, the guy show sold the most vehicles, the guy who had the most sales $$$. they all got bonuses. It did not matter if the vehicle was new or used, however you stood to make a lot more money on a used vehicle. About once per month we would have a $200-$250 bounty on the used vehicle that was on the lot the longest. If anyone could sell that vehicle that day, they got the bonus, plus the commission on the sale and it counted towards your sales quota for the month. We even had additional incentives that would pay our car note eahc month as long as we drove a Ford purchased at that dealership and the vehicles was less than 3 years old,, plus you had to drive it to work every day to worked. You had to maintain 10 sales per month for two months in a row to get your car payments made.

I suspect this salesman you delt with may not be there for long if he is even there today! Contact the dealership and talk to the sales manager. Tell him what this salesmand did and how you were treated. If the sales manager does not appolgiize and put you in touch with a saleman who wants to sell you the vehicle you want, go to another dealer. I suspect that the salesman will be out of a job within a few minutes of you notifying the sales manager, if the dealership is really interested in staying in business. No business wants a salesman who does not make a sale to a customer who wants to buy!

The X-plan makes no difference. If the sales manager sticks up for the crappy salesman, then you don't want to do business with that dealer anymore. You may want to go up higher to the dealership manager or owner.

...Rich

Thanks Rich. This salesman has been there for a long time. I'm really puzzled why he isn't jumping through hoops to make the sale. I had asked him last year about getting in any used vans. He said we don't get those, and I never heard back. So I mentioned that to an owner of a sister shop of the dealer and all hell broke loose. They gave me to another salesman, and when the he found out, he couldn't figure out what happened. He called me and wanted to know what I said to the owner. So after all that I told him there was a misunderstanding about not hearing from him. Now he's doing the same thing. Live and learn I guess.

Gary, the dealer and salesperson still gets a kickback for a sale with the x-plan. It's odd that they're not wanting to deal with you because of it. Regardless, I know there are times, when a dealer really wants a vehicle off the lot, that the deal they make with you outright beats the deal you can get with the x-plan. You might want to investigate this as well.

And, to really burn this sales guy's butt, you can go to another nearby dealer (if there is one) and buy that same vehicle through them. Have them do an interdealership trade.

I hate salesdrones.

I dealt with the internet manager when I bought my ST. haggled for a week. When it came time to do the paperwork, I decided "I did not want to buy" and the sales manager wanted to know why. I told him I didn't like the salesman, he was jerking me around over a few bucks. While discussing this, I could see their status board and I picked the guy with the least amount of sales and told the sales manager I would only buy from that guy, and did.

Bought 2 more cars from that same guy over time, and have referred him about 10 others (of course I always get a check from them for the referral). We still stay in contact and he is one of thier top sellers now.

Get another sales drone, one that will work for YOU and not him.

At least the guy isn't hounding you. I usually shop different makes and models. After I bought my Mazda, I had salesmen bugging me for a few weeks.

I did have a Nissan salesman treat me like you were treated. His dealership called me with a survey a few weeks later. They asked me how I felt about their service. I told them while I shopped for two weeks, the salesman never called back with a price on the vehicle. By the time I received the call about the survey, I had bought my Mazda. The salesman called me on my mobile and asked me why I gave him a bad review. I told him that he never called me on the car I was ready to buy, so I bought another car. He got mad and I hung up on him.

Thanks for the insight Rich.

Another question: How come I can never deal with the sales manager when I ask? They always refer me to a saleperson.

For the last 15yrs,I always ask for the fleet sales or fleet manager. Seems like alot less BS and argument, even if we dont come to terms.

Quote from NelsonOKC "... After I bought my Mazda, I had salesmen bugging me for a few weeks. "

Ditto here. Bought Mazda p/u in 1996. The guy called me for at least two months seeing how I liked it and checking for problems I had. At first it was nice but it got old quick.

I was looking to replace my daughter's Honda which was totaled. Went to Honda dealer. Vulture salesman came up. I explained how I did not need help but if he gave me his card I would come to him when I decided. He insisted in following me around and saying something about every model I glanced at. Left lot due to his arogance.

Around corner was Mazda dealership where I got my above p/u. He gave me his card and left me alone. Bought from him. Sent Honda dealer a letter thanking him for my new Mazda as I would have bought a Honda if not for jerky salesman.

Bought my Nissan Van online after internet salesman said he would beat my offer by $200. Local dealers would not meet my price.

Bought the ST online. Told salesmen, many of them, what I would pay out the door. One met my price. When we came in it was $1.05 more on the ticket so he gave me $1.05 cash to honor his promise. Would buy from him again but he is long way off now.

Thanks for all the response. I just got off the phone with the sales manager, and the s@!t hit the fan. Now they are both working on it and will call back in a little while.;)

Ford employees,( not sure if it's limited to employees), get to give friends and family an "X-plan" pin number which gets them a dealer invoice price on a new vehicle with no haggling or questions asked . I'm comparing this x-plan price with a price another dealer gave me and it's saving me some money. Incentives can be used with it also. If I left something out, or don't have it 100% correct, maybe others can help.

Gary D.

Latest posts