• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen1 v8 Swapped - White

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Sewell

Reaction score
Hey guys, as you may recall I consulted this forum and the ExplorerForum for info regarding the 302 swap in my 02 Gen1. Well the good news is I have a running v8 Gen1! The bad news being I'm a student in college and didn't realize that this was going to cost nearly as much as it did when it was all said and done.... I also moved back in with my mom and drive to school and work 25 miles one way, and the truck hasn't proven itself extremely reliable yet (still working out bugs from the swap). That being said, I'll list it here and see what kind of interest I get. I've got a google drive with pictures in it of my truck, not too many but I can take more. My number is 7708550282 if you want to text or call and leave a message about it. Here's some info I've got:

Gen1 2002 Oxford White 2WD Sport Trac, 302 swapped

Donor was a 99 Explorer with 223k on the motor, did some work before the install

Bored 30 over, new pistons/rings

New plugs, new seals on valve covers, intake upper and lower, thermostat, water pump

New water pump and thermostat

4r70w trans with new tail housing and extended driveshaft (still 2WD), no issues

2nd cats cut off, dual exhaust with DI/DO Flowmaster and no resonator

Front disc, back drum brakes with G-Force sensor for speedo operation

Explorer PCM, ABS module

AC works and held good vacuum when filled after swap

33" BFGs on Cragars

New sway bar links for lift

New shocks on all 4 corners

New fuel pump (Airtex) and filter

10000 pound Curt Hitch

3" PA body lift

Pioneer Radio

Sideview mirrors swapped with puddle lights

LED's all around

Painted interior panels (black/white like Lono100's truck)

Much more.....

Known issues - Oil pan gasket leak near rear main (not the rear main itself because that was replaced by shop when motor was out for R&R), oil pressure gauge spun around in cluster due to possible bad send unit, mismatched valve covers, no fan shroud because it wouldn't fit given the 1/4" clearance between rad and fan

Starts right up and sounds good pretty good for a swap truck, works like OEM minus the "Jewel" key, have to use explorer key for PATS. Shoot me offers if interested, I have over 15k in the truck which is ridiculous and I know I'll get nowhere near that, but I'd like to hear offers. Also comes with bed extender and stock rims/centercaps with worn Cooper STT tires. Good truck that needs a new home to someone who has time/money to take care of it. I have school to pay for and credit card debt that needs to go away, and a Gen2 4x4 v8 that needs a little lift and some vent visors. :) Thanks guys.

Google Drive Photos -https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzwbHUNMldWSfnA1T1pPMUJrV3Q3dVNhaGgydXRtVWF1MjFoRXdZVEJWWW5KSEUxS3kyck0&usp=sharing

Sad to hear this, BUT there are 3 Face book forums that some one would gladly buy and complete the build.

The Sport Trac Website

Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owners

Sport Trac Owner's Club: Discussion Boards

Good luck

Todd Z

Latest posts