Gen II Reliability!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlunchbox

Reaction score
Alrighty guys! You may or may not remember me but I was an avid member here. Used to have a 2003 ST. Gave her up two years ago. Worst decision I ever made... Anyrate I really really want a GEN II now and since I haven't been on here for the last couple of years really I want to know what you guys think? I am thinking maybe a 2007 but trying for a 2008/09 Alot of seen with a reasonable price range that I can afford around around 70k to 100k miles. Would it be worth it? What are the common issues with those model years? anything new since I left about the GENII? I know I solved pretty much every issue ever before from this site. Hopefully you guys are all still going strong!

I had a 2007 and now have a 2010. Both were Limited 4x4 V8s.

My 2010 is much improved over the 2007. I can't really say specifically, but it is smoother, better put together, and just runs/shifts better. The seats, ride and handling are particularly noticeably better. My guess is Ford continued making small improvements each model year.

Someone here did say that for 2009 the suspension had some changes. I believe it.

It also seems that 2007s had a few teething pains with their transmissions for being the first of the redesigned model.

Good luck.

Excellent! This is exactly what I am looking for! I'm so hard up for one now i'm thinking an 09/10 higher millage might do it. I can't seem to find many bad things so I wan't to make sure. I hope some other members will chime in! Thanks Gavin!!

I have a 2008 Limited V8 4X4 approaching 85,000 miles and other than normal maintenance and a new battery several years ago I have had no major problems. I have had to replace a few wheel studs that broke when changing over from my summer wheels to winter ones but I have been very happy with my Gen 2 Sport Trac!

[Broken External Image]:

Oh man what a beauty!!! *drools* :grin: That is exactly what I am looking for! Sunday I am going to check out a 2010 Limited 91K for I think 18k or 19k Real nice condition every option I want, well minus memory seats (are they even available on the Trac?) the V8 and factory nav. But it has the buttons for the voice and call so I am going to assume it has SYNC but unsure. Hopefully she will turn out real nice!

Ford changed the cylinder head design on the 4.6L during the 2008 model year. The newer design does not use the two-piece spark plugs.

2010 Limited V8 4X4 here with 90k miles. The only maintenance item I had was an intermittent transmission fluid leak (leaked at home but not at the shop:grin:) that would show up some mornings. It was the electrical connection. Replaced at the dealership for $500. Included a new filter and fluid of course, so I'm hoping it's sealed up for the life of my ownership.

My tip: get the V8 - it can pull this:[Broken External Image]:

2008 that I got new. 112,000 on it now. 7 front wheel bearings, 4 left 3 right, most were replaced on extended warranty, cracked radiator (common problem) and toasted alternator also replaced on warranty. I replaced a couple wheel bearings on my old Gen 1 too though.

Gen 2's come with a 20 lb radiator cap as I recall, after the dealer put a new rad in I replaced it with a 16 lb cap to try and prevent it from happening again. Ride and handling are worlds better than the Gen 1.

Excellent! Glad to hear all of this! Johnny, I am surprised you put so many bearings in... I wonder whats up with that?? I know I did both sides on my GEN1. Is a cracked radiator a problem still in the 2010's?

2008 Adrenalin, bought it in 2010 with 40,000kms on it ( 25,000 Miles), now has 150,000 kms (93,750 miles.) Replaced the third brake light once as it leaked. Leaked again shortly thereafter, so I siliconed the crap out of it. Been fine since. ( The leak destroyed the stock subwoofer, replaced with one from Ebay) One fuel injector was replaced under warranty. Both exhaust manifolds had broken bolts that needed to be replaced. Other then that, I have not had any issues other than tires and replaced the battery. I have made sure that all scheduled maintenance is done on time. Its been an incredibly reliable truck, especially in the harsh Canadian winters. Starts like a champ at -30!

Sounds pretty good!! Looks like i'll be getting a 2010 Limited!!! Only disappointment is its a V6... was really hoping for the V8 and the factory NAV. But otherwise in reality my dream Trac!!!

I have a 2001 Job2 2WD and a 2009 STA AWD.

Other than the transmission in the 2001 (Was a 2-3 upshift flare), the stupid thermostat housing (twice) and radiator, and recently the AC now has a leak, it has been relatively trouble free. 135K miles. Amazing for a Ford Explorer, so I have been told.

The 2009: Replaced so far (Under Warranty): Front wheel bearings, front window seals (Dealer was supposed to reimburse, never saw a dime) Right cylinder head, Left cylinder exhaust studs, radiator (found during engine disassembly) throttle body (2x) and TPS (1X), ECU, Belt idler pulley (2 weeks after I bought it, Same Shitty Dealer, Johnson Ford in NY, WD-40'd it) Some plastic shit, a few other things, all before 70K.

The ZF designed 6R transmission in the V8 trucks is orders of magnitude better than the 5R55E.

I still love them both, the 2009 rides and drives better, and tows really well.

Get the extended warranty, it will pay for itself. The motor repairs alone would have been $6K.

Your mileage my vary.

Batteries Included.

Latest posts