Gen 2 Tailgate latch issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I went to open the tailgate today. I had it locked and it won't unlock with the key. Anyone else ever have this problem? Gets old lifting full cans of gas over the tailgate when you're a senior....LOL! Can't seem to see how to get around it.

well, I fiddled with it all day yesterday and finally it just opened. I'll take to cover off the inside of the tailgate and take a look and see what's up.

Took cover off, shot some Rem Oil around the mechanism and it works like new! Easy except I effed up all the little black pus plugs that hold the cover to the tailgate and I bought some generic ones at an auto parts store.....they don't work well. Guess I'll have to see if I can get OEM Ford ones so it will be right. Hopefully on Ebay.

Just needs lube, common with the door locks too.

If you have an Ace hardware store around or any other hardware store, you can buy the plastic plugs for about .35 cents each. They have lots of different sizes.

The door locks do the same thing..... the tumblers stick from lac of use..... lube, lube lube.

Latest posts