Gen 1 vs Gen 2 mpg

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hi There,

I am thinking of doing an upgrade from my 04 gen 1 to a gen 2, not sure if I want to go with the V6 or V8. I LOVE the Adrenalins! the online fuel specs rate the gen 2 almost identical to the gen 1 whether V6 or V8. I find that hard to believe. Anyone here done the upgrade? Is your real world mpg any worse/better?

I beat the listed MPG all the way around in my '07 V8 ST. V8 is the way to go IMO! 22-25 MPG on the highway and 13-16 around town.

my 03 and 04 got way better gas mileage then my 07 with a v6. we were averaging 12 to 13 mpg with the v6 07 so we went with the v8 in the 09. the v8 gets 16 in mixed driving and bumps up to 21 or so on long highway trips.

Gen 2 V6's have a 5 speed automatic with 3.73 gears. V8's have a 6 speed automatic with 3.55 gears. EPA mpg ratings are the same for both I think, 14/19 IIRC. I have a cat-back exhaust and on the highway 19 is the least I'll get as long as I keep the speed down and often I'll get 21-22 with the cruise set on 65. If I'm running at 80 or so then it drops to 16-17. In town I get 14 at best and most every tank averages about 15 mpg. I reset the mpg thingy on the dash at every fill-up. Besides the exhaust I run synthetic oil, usually Mobil 1 0w-30, Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case, and Mobil 1 lube in the rear axle.

If you get a decent deal on a used V8, go for it. I got mine new, the V8 option cost a lot of money, and I don't really need the extra power anyway.

2010 adrenalin awd v8 im averaging just short of 20mpg with mixed driving between highway and city, i love the v8 and i wouldnt trade it for a v6 anyday!!!

my 2003 and my 2010 adren V8 with ME driving get the same MPG.....

With my wife driving They both get way higher MPG....

But they are close between 18-20 Daily driving for both...

I am glad I got the V8, i would kick my self if i did not....

Todd Z

Had 2 v6 and now drive the v8 - MUCH better to drive - mileage about the same (poor).

JohnnyO recaps it nicely, and I love Todd Z's phrase "I drive it like it's stolen" :driving:

Droll,

Well Now I cant rent from enterprise here by me, I drive it like its rented !!!!!!!!

LOL

Thanks !!

Todd Z

Get a Todd Z Modded throttle body....best money I ever spent. There was one for sale in the Swap & Sell section for a really good price.

'07 ST

Latest posts