Gen 1 V6 performance exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Armour

Reaction score
So the repair job on the flange joint behind my cat is failing and I am looking at how I want proceed with repairing it. Just downward from the joint is cracked and I'll have to start there. I could go the cost effective method and just cut and splice a new piece of pipe in, but I wanted to explore aftermarket options for a cat back setup.

I've run across basically 2, Gibson and Magnaflow. I see a lot of vids of people with the Gen 2 V8's with vids that look and sound great.(todd z's blue rocket) but I don't see any with the earlier 4.0's. Anyone have one?

My other question is this...

I used to have a Chevy w/ a 4.3 v6 and I had a flow master system installed cat back. While it sounded awesome at idle, the drone at highway speed went right thru my skull. I want to avoid that at all costs. Id rather keep stock than go through that again.

What are the popular systems like at hi way speed?

I had a Borla system on my Gen 1 and really like it a lot. Had a good mellow sound. I'm not sure if they still make them or not though. It had a dual tip the exited out the drivers side straight out the back.

I took it off my '01 and put my stock system back on it before I sold it.

You could try the Magnaflow. I've had it installed along with the Random Technology stainless y pipe since 2003 sound is good with no drone.

I've had a Gibson aluminized system for 6 years (they make one for Gen 1's too), cost about $360 at the time from Summit Racing. Before install I washed the pipes and muffler with Dawn to get the oil coating off, roughed it up with a Scotchbrite pad, and painted it with silver hi-temp BBQ grill paint. I've since had the tailpipe replaced but the midpipe and muffler are holding up fine. We don't call this part of the country the Rust Belt and Salt Belt for nothing.

Latest posts