1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

GEM HELP...

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Thedude7979, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Thedude7979

Thedude7979 Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Started my ST the other night and noticed a heavy electrical smell. Then started down the road and lost speedometer, wipers, and tried the dome lights and nothing..before i tear the dash apart this weekend, does anyone have a start point?

2. Evox

Evox Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

I realize I'm way late to this game. Sorry I didn't see it before. For future reference, I think the "General Help" forum will give you a better chance of getting your questions helped. ...or as many others have recommended just head to the Facebook page.

I'm curious, however, what did the problem turn out to be?

I had to replace the instrument cluster on my '04. The stepper motor for the speedometer gave out. Actually I think what happened was the speed sensor on the rear differential went bad causing the speedometer stepper motor to overwork and then it gave out too. I didn't replace the speed sensor as I should have. Mine was an easy fix. I just replaced the rear diff speed sensor and the one stepper motor on the instrument cluster.

But as I understand it at least on the 1st gen ST the Ford engineers decided to run a lot of weird things through the instrument cluster. So folks that have them go bad can lose things like door locks, and their radio.

Did yours come from a bad instrument cluster?

3. Thedude7979

To be honest with you, I still don’t know I change the fuse I believe number seven. Hasn’t done it since I have no idea what it was. But I am curious however do you happen to know which two wires to jump to roll the passenger side window up? Motorworks I have a bad door switch and until I order it

4. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Broken wires in the door boot are more common then the switch,,,

5. Evox

I've no idea offhand. But I do have an official dealership 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac service manual, and somewhere....an official Wiring manual. I'll take a look when I get a chance and see if I can help. Honestly, I've never used the wiring manual, it just came with the dealership service manual so I'll have to locate it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. Evox

Sure sounds like something is finding ground. I would inspect all the wiring, plastic insulation does get old, but the wires they used on these were pretty good. So looking for points of stress or movement might not be a bad idea. It sounds intermittent so at this point, it might be as simple as finding the break and wrapping a little electrical tape around it.

7. Thedude7979

8. Thedude7979

Appreciate it!